Living with Astigmatism – A Mum’s Journey So Far…

Living with Astigmatism – A Mum’s Journey So Far…
At the end of last year our son was diagnosed with Astigmatism and Amblyopia. It came as a but of a shock. This is our story so far.

It has recently struck me that over the years, I have taken health for granted. Nothing more so than with eyesight.

At the end of last year, we discovered that one of our twins has eyesight problems.  Not just any kind of eyesight problem, but a serious one.  That day our world was turned upside down. There were tears and talks of second opinions; how could this be?

He only has 20% vision, an Astigmatism and Amblyopia

It came as a shock, not least because he had been expertly going about his life without us realising; running, playing, dancing….  He didn’t know any different and had manage to go about his daily business quite easily.  He would often stumble and fall, but honestly we all thought he was just clumsy… like me. With hindsight, we noticed that sometimes he brought books very close to his face to read but we just thought he was competing with his twin brother for control of the book.

It all started when L got sand in D’s eye at kindergarten, by accident I hasten to add.  We ended up with a trip to A&E to get the sand removed; it was not D’s happiest experience.

When there, the doctor suggested we get his eye tested.

We had his eyes tested six months prior, so we were not concerned.  However, to be sure we went back a few weeks later and got him re-tested.

We were shocked, when we discovered that our precious little boy had serious eye sight problems. My prescription is -1 and -2.  This requires me to wear glasses and have slightly blurred vision.  He has +7.75 and +8 and I could not comprehend what the world has looked like for him.  Until we found a website which showed us what he could see with that prescription:

Thanks to Optiker:

It did beg the question whether these or the results six months ago were incorrect.  So, we got him re-tested one last time.  The results were conclusive: his eyesight is as bad as we feared. His Ophthelmologist is convinced that the first set of results were incorrect.

You see the vision problems is caused by the actual shape of his eye.

This is called Astigmatism.

Astigmatism is caused by an irregular curvature of the eye’s cornea or lens. If your cornea or lens isn’t smooth and evenly curved, light rays aren’t refracted properly. This is called a refractive error.

He also has Amblyopia, which is more commonly known as lazy eye.  This is not necessarily a squint, it is where one or both eyes are not developing properly.  Which can lead to a squint and is something we have to keep an eye on.

We are pleased that the glasses D now wears makes a difference.  He says they help and he hates it when he is not wearing them.

He looks exactly Harry Potter, which he is thrilled about.  We know what he will be dressing up as for World Book Day next year!

At our last appointment, the doctor advised us to put an eye patch on D’s better eye to treat his Amblyopia.

That should encourage his other eye to work better. We have read differing views on whether this works or not, but it is worth a try.  Fortunately we have found this easy enough.  He loves pirates so is happy to be wearing a pirates patch for a few hours a day.  The first day he wore it to Kindergarten, he was a bit of a celebrity!

Deep in thought and rocking his eye patch 🙂

A post shared by Double The Monkey Business (@doublethemonkeybusiness) on

We are just starting out on this long journey with my brave and grown-up little guy.  We don’t know where this will go. There could be an improvement.  Or we could see his vision decline.  Whatever happens we will be there to support and love him unconditionally.  Daddy monkey has been through similar vision problems, and also wore a patch as a child, so he can relate to what D is going through.

I never thought I would be so pleased that my son got sand in my other son’s eye!

If you are going through a similar journey with your little ones, I would love to hear from you. It is always so reassuring to hear from someone who knows what this journey feels like. Just leave me a comment below or on Social Media.

• Visit here to read more about our family life.
  • To find out more about Astigmatism, visit the NHS Website here.
  • To find out more about Amblyopia / Lazy Eye, visit the NHS Website here.
Sharing is caring

1. 14th May 2017 / 11:01 pm

What a brave little boy you have, he looks awesome in his eye patch! I’m so glad you’re raising awareness of his conditions, I’m sure this will help other families going through similar situations. Thank you for sharing with #bigpinklink x

2. 14th May 2017 / 9:17 pm

What a brave little boy you have there. He must be a real go-getter to have managed to keep going when his sight wasn’t quite how we see things. So lucky (you know what I mean) with the sand incident. Thank goodness it was picked up on the second time round. Your doing an amazing job. Thank you for sharing with the #DreamTeam x

3. 13th May 2017 / 11:34 pm

Bless his heart. I really hope it improves for him. He does rock the eye patch very well. #dreamteam

4. 13th May 2017 / 8:26 pm

Sorry to hear about this but he does look just like Harry Potter (I wish I could pull that off, my glasses are most boring!). How lucky that you ended up getting him tested again after a previous test said everything was fine. It must’ve been hard seeing for yourself just how he’d been seeing the world before. Thanks for linking up to #MarvMondays. Kaye xo

5. randommusings29
    13th May 2017 / 1:37 pm

I’m so sorry to hear this. The fact that he just went about his daily life before you discovered the problem shows just how resilient he is and how he accepted the situation and didn’t let it hold him back.
    Thanks for linking up to #AnythingGoes 🙂

6. nikkifrankhamilton
    10th May 2017 / 5:01 pm

I am so sorry for this. But your son is so lucky that he has parents who are proactive and looking for the answers. Hugs and prayers for you all! I have astigmatism, but not nearly to this degree, and I began wearing glasses when I was about his age. He has such a great attitude about all of this and he does look like Harry Potter!

7. acraftymix
    10th May 2017 / 9:55 am

Oh shame that must have been such a bad time for you guys Yvonne. I couldn’t imagine how tough that must have been. I’m glad that you found the problem early and that something can be done. Wishing you all of the best and he’s a gorgeous Harry Potter

8. 10th May 2017 / 2:18 am

It has to be hard to watch a little one have to deal with something that makes life a little harder. I’ve had glasses since I was in 2nd grade and contacts since 4th for my astigmatism. I think I’m a -6 in one eye and -4.5 in the other. Best wishes for you both!

9. 8th May 2017 / 11:51 pm

Our eldests (6) teacher suggested taking her for an eye test recently. She did need glasses but only a slight prescription. I did question myself at why the teacher had noticed and we hadn’t.
    She just LOVES her glasses now though. She’s sort sighed do only needs to wear them in class but it’s hard to get them off her, she’s obsessed

10. 8th May 2017 / 8:12 pm

Oh, I forgot to put #marvmondays on my comment, per their link up instructions. Ha! I did find your blog there.

11. 8th May 2017 / 8:11 pm

I have astigmatism, but my vision is not as bad as this cute little guy. Mine is -4.00. Even I can hardly see anything, and if I go outside without my glasses b/c people think I’m snubbing them but I honestly don’t see them. I mean, I never leave the house without my contacts or glasses, except for my senior project in college, for a psychology study on walking around half blind. So wow, if I can’t see with a 4 and astigmatism, I can’t even imagine how bad 7 or 8 would be. So thankful he can see now!

12. 8th May 2017 / 4:13 pm

Oh poor munchkin! I actually have astigmatism myself although only relatively mildly I think. Its heartbreaking having to see a little one go through such things though isn’t it, the wonderful thing about kids is that they are so adaptable and strong. I’m sure nothing will ever hold him back <3

#BigPinkLink xx

13. 8th May 2017 / 1:03 pm

My son has an astigmatism in his left eye – only picked up on a school eye test – no prior warnings to be honest but we still felt so guilty for not noticing x

14. 7th May 2017 / 8:46 pm

Hi Yvonne, how awful for you and lucky that your little boy got sand in his eye or it could have gone undetected for longer. It’s so easy to take our eyesight for granted. I’ve always had perfect vision, well that was up until recently. Now I battle to read the small print on things and wear glasses for reading. My eyesight is totally natural and age related, but it has made me appreciate my eyesight more.

I hope your little boys sight does improve, even if just a little and what wonders Harry Potter has done for children who must wear glasses!

Thank you for linking up with the #MMBC.