Get Crafty with Octonauts Face Masks

Get Crafty with Octonauts Face Masks
We are making Octonauts face masks over on the blog! Come and join us and I will talk you through how we did it.

For anyone that knows my love of crafts, it will not surprise you to know that I have a VERY long lists of crafts that I want to do with the boys.  Most of these crafts are educational.  So things along the lines of learning letters, numbers, days of the weeks etc!

When we sat down to do crafts on Friday afternoon I had grand plans of doing crafts with the letter C.  I also thought we could do some weather crafts.  However, the boys were not so keen.  They had just watched an episode of Octonauts and they ganged up on me.  They do this a lot.  I guess I should be used to it by now.

So after cries of “lets do Octonauts crafts mummy!”, I had to get my thinking cap on.  We had plenty of the right coloured card so I thought lets make some Octonauts face masks, how hard can it be?

Octonauts to the launch bay….

Actually in answer to that question, not hard.  Fiddly… yes.  But not hard…

The thing with crafts in our house, is that I try to get the boys to do as much as possible.  However, these masks were a little bit tricky.  If I am honest, they are probably best suited to children a little older.  Anyway, with help from me we worked it out.

What you need to make Octonauts Face Masks:

• Coloured Card
  • Glue
  • Scissors
  • String or ribbon

Making Kwazii

It was brought to my attention that apparently Kwazii is D’s favourite character EVER.  This was news to me but for should not be a surprise seeing as their favourite characters and TV shows change hourly.

Making Kwazzi was not that hard, as luck would have it we had the exact shade of orange card needed to make his face which was a stroke of luck.  We used a plate to draw around, and cut out a circle.

We then used black card to cut out his pirates eye patch and eye.  These were glued in place.

We had a black marker pen to draw the whiskers and nose and a little bit of light card for the mouth.

Then we cut out a hat with blue card.

So basically, it was very much a cut and glue job!  So it is a good job both the boys love using the glue stick.

I would say the hardest part was then cutting out holes for the eyes.  I am yet to perfect this art form! Whenever I cut out the eyes they look strange and squint.  So any tips on making this easier gratefully received.

I then cut along the bottom of the mask, to make it fit better around the face and mouth.

I then used some ribbon to attach to the sides of the mask, so it holds the mask in place when the boys are wearing them.

Making Peso

**For anyone wondering, yes I did have to google the names to make sure I had them right, don’t tell the boys they would be horrified that my Octonauts knowledge is not up to scratch!**

For Peso, we started the same way. Although we used black card.  We then used white paper, to cut out the inner area of his face.  I just used a couple of coasters to make sure they were equal.

We used some black card to cut out and glue on for eyes.  Blue card for that hat and then cut out a little yellow nose.

We then finished it off the same way, with thread to attach it and trimming the bottom of the mask so it would fit properly.

For someone who loves to plan ahead, making these last minute craft worked out well I think.  Even the hubby complimented us on a job well done, usually he just complains about the mess we make !

I would love to know if you have tried these at home and how you got on.  If you have made any other characters then I would love to see them!

Octonauts Face Masks

If you liked these Octonauts face masks and you want to see what other crafts we have done, check out our activities page here.

Sharing is caring

1. 30th May 2017 / 7:16 am

Oh what a fun craft activity! I think it’s fun when kids come up with their own crafting ideas – well done you for being so spontaneous though! It’s hard to come up with things on the spot! These are great! x #MakeItLinky

2. 15th May 2017 / 10:43 pm

These are brilliant! And don’t worry I can never remember their names either, I called the Captain by the wrong name last week and was sent to the naughty chair by my boy #craftycorner

3. 9th May 2017 / 10:31 am

These are brilliant! My girls love the Octonauts, Im definitely going to give this one a go with them. Our craft sessions also often ‘evolve’ into something that I had not originally planned! #CraftyCorner

4. randommusings29
    7th May 2017 / 3:04 am

Your crafts are always brilliant! The masks are fantastic!
    Thanks for linking up to #AnythingGoes 🙂

5. nikkifrankhamilton
    5th May 2017 / 3:49 pm

Love your go with the flow attitude. I’m sure that this made the boy’s day, and that they will continue to play with them, until the next “favorite” character pops up. They look great, and I have no idea who octonauts are, I’m really out of the loop!

6. 4th May 2017 / 11:07 pm

These are so cute. Love them. Must give these a go with little miss x

7. 3rd May 2017 / 10:23 pm

These are great fun for all Octonaut fans.#craftycorner

8. Natalie | Surviving life's hurdles
    3rd May 2017 / 12:12 pm

These masks are so cute and I love the bright colours. What a great way of encouraging you boys to have a go at crafting! #CraftyCorner

9. acraftymix
    3rd May 2017 / 9:23 am

LOL, Yvonne, I’ve never heard of Octonauts, but they sure are cute. The boys must have been so proud of their creations

10. 1st May 2017 / 10:09 pm

Those masks are so cool, how talented are you! There doesn’t seem to be much out there in terms of octonauts costumes and crafts so everyone bookmark this page! 🙂 Thank you for sharing with the #Dreamteam x

11. Caroline {Girl about townhouse}
    1st May 2017 / 10:45 am

These look really great, Octonauts are very much a favourite in our house too. I’ve just showed them to my son and he’s desperate to make them! #craftycorner

12. 30th April 2017 / 10:39 pm

What a fun little craft activity, my eldest would love these! Thank you for sharing with #bigpinklink x

13. 25th April 2017 / 9:31 pm

The masks look fantastic! I will need to make these with my 5 year old, he loves anything crafty and he loves octonauts. #MMBC

14. 24th April 2017 / 10:47 pm

How clever! My little one love Octonauts and is into everything arts and crafts so would absolutely love having a go at making these. Definitely something for us to try over the next half term or rainy day 🙂 Great post, thanks for sharing it on #MarvMondays. Emily

15. 24th April 2017 / 9:51 pm

They look brilliant, you are so clever! I could recognise them easily. x

16. 24th April 2017 / 7:49 pm

Hi, these face masks are amazing. I have to confess I may struggle making them though. Thanks for sharing, Chloe #bigpinklink

17. 24th April 2017 / 5:10 pm