Valentine’s Crafts for Children

Valentine’s Crafts for Children

After the success of baking Valentine’s biscuits last week, next we decided to try our hand at some Valentine’s crafts for children!

We ended up doing two different crafts, because we ended up cutting out too many hearts.

So today we are going to give you two for the price of one – bargain eh?

Valentine’s Crafts for Children – the lovable Caterpillar!

First up is our initial activity of making a caterpillar out of love hearts.

What do you need:

• card
  • glue
  • love heart cookie cutter (optional for those, like me, who cannot draw lovehearts that are symmetrical!)
  • Pen
  • Googly eyes  (the most exciting thing in our craft box according to the kids!)

How do you do it?

My monkeys are only four, so they definitely needed a bit of assistance with this one.  The best way to start, was to have a piece of card and draw a straight line across the middle of the page.  This meant they knew where to stick the love hearts and made everyones lives a lot easier – especially control freak mummy!

Next up you need to cut out the card.  Now, as I said above, I am useless at making symmetrical hearts.  Drawing is not a talent that I have!  So we cheated, and dug out the love heart cookie cutter that we used for the biscuits last week.  We used these to draw around, and then cut the love hearts out.  All the love hearts were the same shape and that made mummy very happy, it was strangely satisfying! The kids, of course, could not care less if the hearts were the same shape or not!

We tackle some Valentine's crafts for children on the blog today

The boys then got the glue stick and put the glue along the line that we had drawn earlier.  They then stuck the hearts all in a row, to make the caterpillar body.

Then they stuck a heart above the line, at the end of the row to make a head.  They stuck on some googly eyes – best bit of the whole process, I am not sure what it is about googly eyes that make them so much fun! We then used the pens to draw legs, a mouth and a little nose – nose not compulsory unless you are four and you insist because otherwise the caterpillar will not be able to smell!

We then cut out teeny little hearts to use as the caterpillar antlers.

Valentine’s Crafts for Children – the love heart wreath

Once our caterpillar was made, the boys pointed out that we still had tons of love hearts left over.  I had seriously underestimated how many we would need.

So we got more card and cut out a circle.  I actually used a plate to draw around as again my circulars are usually more on the oval side!

We then cut out the inside of the circle, then stuck the love hearts on with glue.

The wreath is not hung up in our window and certainly brightens the place up.  Everything seems so dull since we took the Christmas decorations down.

I would love to know if you are doing any valentine’s crafts for children.  I would love to get more inspiration to try out other crafts this weekend, tag me on social media or leave me a comment below this post.

Have fun with your children this Valentine's. Why not try out these simple crafts with the kids.

1. 19th February 2017 / 9:37 pm

I love this, it’s such a great idea! Thanks for stopping by and linking up to #AnythingGoes

2. 19th February 2017 / 5:57 pm

What a fab crafts idea! Very pretty, and easy for little hands to do with some help. My little one would love making these, definitely one to give a go 🙂 Great post thanks for sharing it on #MarvMondays. Emily

3. 14th February 2017 / 9:38 pm

That caterpillar is so cute! My two are obsessed with googly eyes too. At least yours have limited it to two. I don’t doubt that our caterpillar will end up with about 72! 😉 Thanks for sharing with #DreamTeam x

4. 13th February 2017 / 11:02 pm

I love that caterpillar, my girls would love to make this. I am going to have a go at half term. Thank you for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove

5. 13th February 2017 / 10:25 pm

This looks like fun! I’ll have to do it with the kids sometime this week. #MarvMondays

6. barriebismark
    13th February 2017 / 8:54 pm

So cute! Love the caterpillar! My girls would love them!

7. thefrenchiemummy
    13th February 2017 / 2:28 pm

It looks so cute! and so easy! Even I can do that ! I will do some with Baba #AnythingGoes

8. webmdiva
    13th February 2017 / 2:20 pm

The caterpillar is the cutest idea. This is the first time I’ve seen it! Adorable. #AnythingGoes

9. serenityyou
    13th February 2017 / 12:24 pm

This valentines caterpillar card is just so cute!!! #MarvMondays

10. 13th February 2017 / 3:38 am

Aww.. these are so cute! Thanks for linking up with us on #FabFridayPost x

11. nikkifrankhamilton
    13th February 2017 / 1:20 am

Your boys are adorable, and you are such a great mom. Both these crafts look like tons of fun for all of you. I think the caterpillar is my favorite, is this what people refer to when they talk about love bugs? So adorable. Happy Valentines Day to all of you.

12. 10th February 2017 / 9:50 pm

Aww, love the caterpillar. How had I never thought of drawing round cookie cutters?

13. 10th February 2017 / 8:05 pm

Such lovely activities – I’m hoping to make the caterpillar with my little girl over the weekend thanks for sharing with #coolmumclub xoxo

14. 10th February 2017 / 1:24 pm

The love caterpillar is so cute! I think I have a heart cookie cutter and we definitely have coloured card – I think this is one I might try with Max over the weekend! Thanks for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove

15. 8th February 2017 / 12:59 pm

Love the Caterpillar! That’s a great idea! We love seasonal and themed crafts! #BloggerClubUK

16. 8th February 2017 / 11:24 am

Love these..especially the caterpillar..will try these out with my boy thus week xx #bloggerclubuk