With love being in the air and Valentine’s day approaching, I recently made some Valentine’s biscuits with the kids.
They have no idea what Valentine’s is. However, they got into the spirit of things when they realised there were sweet treats to be made!
To start with I made a biscuit base, then let the kids decorate them with icing, jam and sprinkles. As you can imagine it went down a treat. The biscuit base I use is so simple, I thought I would share it on the blog.
What you need for valentine’s biscuits:
- 225g unsalted butter
- 85g icing sugar
- 320g plain flour
- Love heart cookie cutter
I let the kids help me measure the ingredients out. They love doing this although both were a little disappointed that there were no eggs in this recipe. There favourite baking thing is cracking eggs, even if it does go everywhere!
What to do:
- Stick the oven on at 160 degrees. Then line two baking tray.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. We used a mixer to help us out. The boys love baking but they are anything but patient!
- Once this is done, mix the flour in. I tend to do half in the mixer, then fold the rest in by hand. It should make a soft dough.
- Then on a floured surface, roll the dough out and use the cutters to make the love hearts.
- Put on a baking tray and put in the oven until golden brown. In our oven it only takes 15 minutes to be perfectly cooked.
- Put on a wire rack and leave to cool. Thankfully they our cookie cutters are quite small so the biscuits cooled pretty quickly.
mess fun begins.
The boys love decorating biscuits. They use the jam to sandwich two biscuits together, then decorated with icing and sprinkles. Some, however, didn’t make it that far.
The boys had a few cheeky biscuits to check they tasted ok!
So, it really is as easy as that.
I would love to know what valentines activities you are doing with the kids. Please leave me a message in the comments.
If you try these Valentine’s biscuits, let me know how it went.
Check out the blog next week to see our Valentine’s crafts.
Find us on Instagram here: www.instagram.com/doublethemonkeybusiness