Yesterday I took a little bit of a break from the 30 days challenge.
So this post is a double-whammy to catch up. Some may say two for the price of one. Unsurprisingly, I hear that phrase a lot in relation to twins. It isn’t true by the way, it is very much two for the price of two!!
Day 10 – Top 5 Pet Peeves
BEWARE: RANT ALERT!!!!
If there was ever a question to allow for a good rant, this is it! I think this may be a good contender for #effitfriday this week!
- The first on the list is probably number one top pet peeve for any twin parent. What I was not told at my twin antenatal class, is that having twins apparently makes it okay to make personal and often inappropriate comments. Here are some examples:
- “Are they twins?”
- This happens more frequently now because Bob L is taller than Bob D, so looks older (I know what you are wondering: no, they are not identical). However, when they were both babies in a pram, looking EXACTLY alike, it drove me crazy. My husband dared me once to say “yes they are twins, but with different fathers”. Which I thought was pretty funny, until last week when I read in the news that this actually happened in Vietnam.
- “Two for the price of one.”
- See above.
- “Did you have a natural birth?”
- Now… I have to point out this doesn’t matter so much if it comes from someone I know. However, I was once stopped in Costco by a complete stranger and asked this question. She didn’t even bother to say ‘hello’ first – how rude! See Point 5.
- “Did you have IVF?”
- I ask you this: Would you ever ask a mummy to a singleton this question? No? Exactly. Then don’t ask me, or any other twin mummy for that matter.
- “Double Trouble.”
- “Oh, I had children close in age, I know how you feel.”
- No, you don’t know how it feels. Just like I don’t even begin to pretend to know what it is like to have a toddler and a baby to look after. Each have their own trials and tribulations. Lets not presume we can empathise.
- “I feel sorry for you” / “Rather you than me” / “You are in trouble” – Why exactly? Because I have double the love? Because I get double the cuddles? Think long and hard before saying this to a twin mummy; these comments are not only hurtful, they are incredibly irritating.
- “Are they twins?”
- People sticking their noses in where they don’t belong. There is no need for this. If it is not life threatening, then just leave it. Unless asked of course, then we are in desperate need for ideas and help. People love to give advice: when to potty train, how to discipline, how to wean… the list is endless. From my experience, this has two reactions from me; I either feel incredibly annoyed or it just makes me feel like I am a failure. Parenthood is hard enough, let’s just support each other!
- Moving onto more general irritations now. First of which, is picking teeth. I cant bear this. I have to look away. If I am still eating it puts me off my food completely. Toothpicks should be banned unless used in a bathroom.
- Feet. I hate feet.
- Rudeness. I was always brought up to treat people, like you want to be treated. Not everyone seems to agree with this. Just be nice people. Or as I say to my monkeys: Be kind, always be kind.
Day 11 – Favourite Foods
Wow, this is hard. I don’t know what to choose. In fact, if you asked me this question in a few days time, I would probably give a different answer. This is my answer today:
- All Mexican food. Love Salsa. Love Guacamole. Love Tacos.
- Tapas. I can never decide what to have in a restaurant. The best thing about Tapas is you can try a little bit of everything.
- Sticky Toffee Pudding / Creme Brûlée / Panacotta. These are my desserts of choice. I always have a tough decision on my hands if more than one of these are on a dessert menu.