HELLP, I am in Labour

HELLP, I am in Labour

Panic, pain and a realisation that this was happening. There was no going back.  I knew that I had to push two babies out of me, I had no idea how I was going to do it.

After my waters broke, the nurse hooked me up to a monitor to review my contractions.  I sat for what felt like days, it was actually only an hour.  I was uncomfortable and grumpy.

Am I in labour?

When the nurse came back she looked at the results and said: “I think you should call your husband”.

I called him. He asked if he had time to have a shower.  I asked the midwife and she said “tell him to come now”. She seemed annoyed at this suggestion.

If I had known that he would spend the next 5 days worrying that I would die.  I would have let him have that shower.

If I had known what lay ahead, I would have let him have that shower.

If I could go back and have a strong, harsh word with my former self.  I would do so.

But I didn’t know that.  He didn’t have his shower.

I am in labour but still smiling.

Still smiling, I assume this was taken after the Epidural!

Over the next few hours there was pain, tiredness and all normal things related to labour.  The midwife and hubby said that I hardly spoke when I had my contractions. I had watched One Born Every Minute many times and I often assumed that I would be screaming, swearing and telling my husband off for getting me into this mess.  But, I didn’t.  I just took little breaths and said nothing.  My hubby still does impressions of me to this day.  He got off pretty lightly I think.

Pain Relief

When I found out I was pregnant, I wanted a water birth.  I thought it seemed calm, natural and a great way to welcome babies into this world.  Having twins meant I didn’t have this option.  I was high-risk and had to give birth under observation.

It was recommended that I had an epidural.  This is due to the high possibility of an emergency C-section.  An epidural being in place makes this process quicker. I didn’t argue.

I worried for months about it though, having a huge needle plunged into my back didn’t appeal.  Actually, it wasn’t bad at all.  The worst was trying to curve my back forward so they could insert the needle.  I had a mahoosive bump and it was very hard to lean forward. Thankfully, the epidural was put in first time.  It made a huge difference to the pain.

Blood pressure

My blood pressure caused huge problems when I was in labour.  It made me anxious.  My blood pressure was up and down throughout the whole day.  Sky high one minute, the nurse would administer medication and then it would plunge dangerously low.  They couldn’t control it.  Blood pressure continued to be a problem for me over the next few days.


If someone asks me what I remember about being in labour, the first thing that springs to mind is not the pain, it is the CONSTANT playing of bagpipes outside the hospital window.

I was in a London hospital, right next to Waterloo Bridge and the London Eye.  There are always plenty of street-acts here to entertain tourists, including a Piper.  Which is entertaining…..unless you are in hospital.  If you are already a women on the edge, in labour and not feeling at your most chirpy, then you can quickly come to HATE this sound.

I spent hours complaining about it, begging my husband and the midwives to ‘go downstairs to sort him out’.  I really didn’t care what ‘sort it out’ meant.   To my dissappointment they didn’t.

I have never been able to appreciate bagpipes again, which is sad.  I am Scottish and it is part of my heritage.

House Sale

When all this fun stuff was happening, my husband received a call to put an offer in on our small London home.  We had been trying to sell it for 9 months, it is ironic that it all kicked off on the day I went into labour.  A few phone calls later and we had sold our house.  High five to my hubby for staying calm under immense pressure.


Early evening came.  The midwife said she didn’t think it would be today. However, around 10pm, the midwife checked and realised things had moved on significantly.  It was time to PUSH!

I pushed and pushed and pushed…. for 2 hours.  Nothing happened.  I was in a great deal of pain, even with the epidural.  The room filled with people.  They looked concerned; I was quickly getting used to people looking concerned around me.  A consultant was called.  A scanning machine was demanded.

The scan showed both boys heads were stuck in the birth canal.   They were fighting to get out first – competitive with each other even at this very early age.

I needed to be taken to theatre now, the Consultant explained.  They needed to assist the delivery.  C-section risk was even higher at this point.

The consent forms were signed.  My husband was put into scrubs and we were rushed into the theatre.

I am going to find the next few posts very hard to write.  I feel panicky thinking about it.



  1. 16th March 2016 / 9:09 pm

    You are so brave to be sharing your story with everyone. I hope it hasn’t been too difficult to write the next two if you have yet? Well done to your husband can’t believe he managed to sell the house in the middle of it all! Superdad in the making. Thanks for linking to #PickNMix

    • 17th March 2016 / 8:55 am

      Ha ha I know. I am thankful he is a calm and level headed person (unlike me) and took it all in his stride. It takes a lot to shake him.
      I have started the next lot, I was thankful to get the blogging challenge at this point as it has given me a chance to breathe and concentrate on something else as well while I do the next lot, I like to take my time over these as emotion can often make my first couple of drafts unreadable X

  2. 15th March 2016 / 4:57 pm

    It sounds like you had a really traumatic birth, I really look forward to reading the next so the next instalment; but from what you’ve put I think it’s going to be a bumpy ride! I follow you on Twitter and Facebook, but only realised that you joined the same Linkys as me. at least your house went up for sale, congratulations to your husband for keeping cool under immense pressure! I shall probably be commenting on every post from now on 😛 xxx #AnythingGoes

  3. 13th March 2016 / 2:41 pm

    Oh this must be so difficult to write and relive all over again – but I’m sure it’s also helping in a way. I can only imagine how much those bagpipes were doing your head in! Intrigued to read the next part of your story x #picknmix

  4. 9th March 2016 / 2:14 am

    Eek, just reading this is making me anxious. Ugh, bagpipes are not the sound I’d want to hear at that time either. I also wasn’t a screamer. Just a few well placed quiet expletives apparently.


    • 13th March 2016 / 6:48 am

      Ha ha isn’t it funny. We all react so differently. I think I had a few quiet expletives too! Hubby got off lightly though as it was all directed at the bagpipes not him 🙂 x

Don't be shy, leave me a comment.....