How NOT to organise a birthday party

A few weeks ago, I posted about our week long birthday celebrations, which included organising the dreaded party.

I promised in that post that I would share with you how NOT to plan a children’s birthday party, so you can learn from my mistakes… So here goes…

1. Don’t think about a party venue

Who needs a place to hold the party anyway?  Who needs a venue?

The first mistake I made was not planning where we would host the event.  I just thought, yeah we will have a birthday party for them, that will be fun.

Then one week before, I had a sudden panic.  I had promised two four-year-olds a birthday party and I had not thought about a venue.  The main issue with this is four-year-olds remember EVERYTHING!

With the result it ended up being at home**Although to be honest that worked out ok**

2. Don’t Invite People

Yep if you want your party to get off to a bad start, make sure you don’t invite anyone.

I was one week away from the planned date and I still had not invited anyone.  This was due to being very busy (otherwise known as bad planning)! So if you want to be sad dancing, then don’t invite a soul.

3. Forget about the cake

If you want to make sure your party is a complete flop – then forget to make a cake.

I remembered less than 24-hours before the event.  Then I had to take to social media in a fluster, asking if anyone had any ideas!

Thankfully, in my case, a kind soul took pity on me.  They provided me with a quick fix alternative which required no baking – result!

4. Organise Pass-the-parcel at the last minute, then run out of wrapping paper…

Pass-the-parcel cant require that much paper can it?  Oh….

I was that mum.  The one that completely underestimated how much wrapping paper is required for a simple game of pass-the-parcel.  Of course this resulted in me running to the shops in a panic!

5. Give the birthday boy too much sugar

We have all been there, had a little too much excitement on our birthday or is that just me?

If you want to finish off the birthday with a bang, then give the birthday boy too much sugary treats.  This works especially well if the birthday boy doesn’t usually eat sweets….

As we figured out about an hour after the party finished, too many sweets = upset tummy (to put it politely)!

Let’s just say that even after four years of parenting, cleaning up sick is not something I have ever become accustomed to!!

So there we have it

That is everything that I learnt from organising a four-year-olds birthday party.  I am sure next  year I will remember everything and it will be drama free…

Do you have any party blunders?  Let me know in the comments below.

For those that have a child’s birthday party in the not too distant future:

Find out how NOT to plan a childrens birthday party over on the blog:

1. October 12, 2016 / 9:47 am

I must be mad, I just love organising parties for kids (it does help having a DJ for a husband as he takes over all the games etc) leaving me with the food to sort out x

2. Anne
    October 12, 2016 / 11:44 am

I love kids parties, I do everything myself and make the cake. I have forgotten a few things here and there but they generally go well. I think your post is hilarious, I could have so been there if not for being a control freak! My worst disaster was when I had a party for my daughter in the summer which we planned to have in the garden, unfortunately my neighbours had decided to hold a garden party on the same day and there’s was for adults, lots and lots and lots of them, having a bbq, playing loud music and even talking really loud. The poor kids couldn’t play any of the games I’d spent hours on setting up because they just couldn’t hear anything over the neighbours noise. Our party soundtrack was drowned out and the kids just ended up going wild in the garden. so my tip would be to make sure the neighbours were not having a party on the same day.

3. October 12, 2016 / 12:32 pm

I hate organising parties! I’m trying to convince T to just go away for her birthday, to a lovely place, maybe even go to Disney again… Anything just to avoid the dreaded organising. Hahaha. I bet in spite all that, the kids had a blast 😉
    Dean of Little Steps recently posted…A Family Love Affair with BooksMy Profile

4. October 12, 2016 / 2:25 pm

I don’t mind organising parties for Blake but that may change when he has more friends so more organising to do.

5. Sarah - mud cakes and wine
    October 12, 2016 / 10:53 pm

Ha ha ha love this post, my boys party’s were at our local small but perfectly formed soft play. But booked too late and had to do it at random weekend and had to text friends to save the date. Cakes come from tesco here. I am proper party rubbish #bloggerclubuk

6. October 13, 2016 / 2:26 pm

This made me chuckle. Thankfully we have not had any major disasters but I do have a reputation for throwing a good party which is a bit of a curse

7. October 13, 2016 / 2:54 pm

I hate organising parties and I believe organising parties for kids is even more challenging.
    Evelina recently posted…LFW Outfit RecapMy Profile

8. October 13, 2016 / 10:52 pm

hahahaha oh no!!! It sounds like it all worked out well in the end. I used to be super organised before I had my daughter and was always so excited about planning birthday parties. I always leave it to last minute now and regret it every time. x
    Chloe Ciliberto recently posted…24 HOURS IN VENICEMy Profile

9. October 14, 2016 / 11:13 am

After years of birthday parties for my girls, my poor son has never had one yet. He will be 5 in 12 days time (during half term) yet again I am fobbing him off with a day out instead of a party, seems to work for the time being – but maybe next year we’ll do a proper one! Sarah #FabFridayPost
    Sarah Stockley recently posted…#ExplorerKids – Round-up #29My Profile

10. October 14, 2016 / 12:48 pm

Can I tell you how glad I am to be past this stage and at the point where I tell my kids “pick three friends, choose if we go have pizza, or a movie, or a sleepover” and it’s easy to organize and doesn’t leave me reaching for the gin bottle… Kids parties are not my favourite!

11. October 14, 2016 / 4:56 pm

Oh boy! My eldest turns 4 next month and I have promised a small party at home with a few friends. I think I will go invite them all now just to be sure! haha x #sharingthebloglove
    claire recently posted…It’s the little things that get you.My Profile

12. October 14, 2016 / 8:07 pm

This made me laugh! So true! #FabFridayPost

13. October 14, 2016 / 8:08 pm

Ugh…I hate organizing parties. I always forget something or do something horrendous. Once I booked my sons party at a far, that was literally 4 hours away (because I have no sense of direction) want to guess how many people showed up? Another time I forgot to invite EVERY.SINGLE.GRANDPARENT (I used FB event to invite and forgot they don’t have FB). The best one ever was when I forgot to order a birthday cake…that takes a real genius. (as a side note I do have 3 kids so at least I didn’t do this all to one poor child)

14. October 14, 2016 / 8:27 pm

Hahah this sounds like when I was planning my wedding!! I am notorious for being disorganised so my friends are very used to me remembering to invite them to things at the last minute, although the school mums aren’t quite familiar with that yet!! I’m sure he had an absolute blast, all of that sugar was probably a lot of fun for him….at the time! #fabfridaypost
    five little doves recently posted…Autumn AdventuresMy Profile

15. October 14, 2016 / 10:34 pm

Ooopsss, ohhh noooo!! I try to be organised otherwise I stress way too much. Thanks for linking up #bestandworst
    Helen Gandy recently posted…Our Week!My Profile

16. October 16, 2016 / 5:00 am

I love this! Even though it was a scramble, it turned out to be a great party! I can’t imagine how full your hands are, it was hard enough for me with one, but you have 2 monkeys the same age. You inspire me with all you accomplish!

I love the GIFs you added to the post, they are so funny! I’m glad it turned out ok, I’m sure no one else noticed anything, they were busy having too much fun!

BTW, love the new look and header!
    Nikki Frank-Hamilton recently posted…Perfect Gifts For Bloggers-Gift GuideMy Profile

17. October 16, 2016 / 2:09 pm

I am a terrible birthday party planning mother – I’ve still not braved the full on ‘invite other kids’ style party, although I’m not sure that I’ll be able to escape it for another year. At 3 I think he’s definitely going to want a proper party, not a collection of adults for some tea and shop bought cake! I’m reassured by your story though – it all worked out ok in the end (apart from the sick – I don’t deal well with that either!) THanks so much for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove
    Katy – Hot Pink Wellingtons recently posted…Pumpkin Picking at Garsons FarmMy Profile

18. October 17, 2016 / 7:06 pm

Last year I was the mum that planned the girls joint party months in advance. I had lists for everything. This year I left everything to the last minute and it was a bit crazy. I think I will go for somewhere in the middle next time!! Thanks for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove x

19. October 18, 2016 / 8:42 pm

I love this! I actually love planing parties, but I am so crap at baking cake. For the past 2 years I had to resort to buying birthday cake at the last minute! I think next time I should have just buy the dam cake! lol! Thank you so much for linking up with us on #FabFridayPost
    Su {Ethan & Evelyn} recently posted…#ExplorerKids – Round Up #30My Profile

20. October 18, 2016 / 11:31 pm

Aaaahh kids parties are so stressful aren’t they! My daughter’s birthday isn’t until May but I’m already thinking of what to do! #The List

21. October 20, 2016 / 1:18 pm

Oh no! These are definately the ingredients for a stressful time. Good luck remembering it all next year. I always forget something. Usually to invite a friend!

22. October 20, 2016 / 2:47 pm

THIS IS SO ME. ALL OF IT. My son is 4 in December and this will be EXACTLY me. The mother who forgets Parents Evening every. single. time. Great post 😀

23. October 20, 2016 / 2:58 pm

Sounds like my sister organising parties! At least you’ve learnt from your errors and can see the funny side now!

24. October 20, 2016 / 4:11 pm

He he, love this. I’m terrible for leaving everything to the last minute, sounds like you pulled it off though x

25. October 20, 2016 / 5:11 pm

Brilliant, really enjoyed reading this, children’s birthday parties can be really stressful, I haven’t attempted pass the parcel but remember my mum wrapping mine in newspaper, now i know why! #sharingthebloglove

26. October 20, 2016 / 8:42 pm

I just had my son’s birthday party earlier this week, luckily I ordered his cake well in advance and his little outfit.It sounds like you got around to doing a great job at the end, birthdays can get a little stressful, we were still running around on the day getting party hats, snacks, etc #sharingthebloglove

27. October 20, 2016 / 10:56 pm

I’m awful at planning kids’ parties, this just sounds just like me. It’s now cinema and something to eat after, out of the house max six friends – let’s keep this manageable! #sharingthebloglove
    Tooting Mama recently posted…My 11 truths about adoptionMy Profile

28. October 21, 2016 / 3:43 am

haha this was amusing! Reminds me of when I kept bluffing my husband for his birthday telling him the day was a surprise then on the day I had to just make it up as I went! Turned out ok though #sharingthebloglove

29. October 21, 2016 / 7:49 pm

So funny! I was super organised for my son’s 1st but wouldn’t say I loved planning it. I’m already thinking of simpler ways to do things next time! x #SharingtheBlogLove

30. October 22, 2016 / 10:46 am

Ah this is funny. I hate birthday parties if I’m honest. There is so much pressure! My little man turns four in a December and the time has come to start thinking about it. We’ve decided this year to just have a smallish affair with the friends he sees most often and for my sins we are going to have it at home! I think I’ve thought about all of the things you’ve mentioned though so hopefully it will go okay. Just the thought of it is making my tummy turn though. Arghh!
    Jaki recently posted…Guest Blog: 13 Fun Activities to Do At Home with Family by iZullyMy Profile

31. October 22, 2016 / 2:38 pm

Pahaha! It’s my daughters 2nd birthday in January and first attempt at a party… I will try and remember these! #sharingthebloglove

32. October 22, 2016 / 11:08 pm

I’ve left it late before, (ok maybe not quite as late as you!), but late enough to be panicking about replies and not having the minimum number required for the party. Reading this brought it all back! Now I diarise 6 weeks in advance to start planning, so we can get invites out in time. Even better, now I have a 10-year old, I’ve managed to convince him that having a family trip away or special treat is just as good as a party! #Sharingthebloglove