How NOT to organise a birthday party

A few weeks ago, I posted about our week long birthday celebrations, which included organising the dreaded party.

I promised in that post that I would share with you how NOT to plan a children’s birthday party, so you can learn from my mistakes… So here goes…

1. Don’t think about a party venue

Who needs a place to hold the party anyway?  Who needs a venue?

The first mistake I made was not planning where we would host the event.  I just thought, yeah we will have a birthday party for them, that will be fun.

Then one week before, I had a sudden panic.  I had promised two four-year-olds a birthday party and I had not thought about a venue.  The main issue with this is four-year-olds remember EVERYTHING!

With the result it ended up being at home**Although to be honest that worked out ok**

2. Don’t Invite People

Yep if you want your party to get off to a bad start, make sure you don’t invite anyone.

I was one week away from the planned date and I still had not invited anyone.  This was due to being very busy (otherwise known as bad planning)! So if you want to be sad dancing, then don’t invite a soul.

3. Forget about the cake

If you want to make sure your party is a complete flop – then forget to make a cake.

I remembered less than 24-hours before the event.  Then I had to take to social media in a fluster, asking if anyone had any ideas!

Thankfully, in my case, a kind soul took pity on me.  They provided me with a quick fix alternative which required no baking – result!

4. Organise Pass-the-parcel at the last minute, then run out of wrapping paper…

Pass-the-parcel cant require that much paper can it?  Oh….

I was that mum.  The one that completely underestimated how much wrapping paper is required for a simple game of pass-the-parcel.  Of course this resulted in me running to the shops in a panic!

5. Give the birthday boy too much sugar

We have all been there, had a little too much excitement on our birthday or is that just me?

If you want to finish off the birthday with a bang, then give the birthday boy too much sugary treats.  This works especially well if the birthday boy doesn’t usually eat sweets….

As we figured out about an hour after the party finished, too many sweets = upset tummy (to put it politely)!

Let’s just say that even after four years of parenting, cleaning up sick is not something I have ever become accustomed to!!

So there we have it

That is everything that I learnt from organising a four-year-olds birthday party.  I am sure next  year I will remember everything and it will be drama free…

Do you have any party blunders?  Let me know in the comments below.

For those that have a child’s birthday party in the not too distant future:

Find out how NOT to plan a childrens birthday party over on the blog: http://doublemonkeybusiness.co.uk/2016/10/08/how-not-organise-a-childrens-party/

1. 5th January 2017 / 4:13 pm

Hi Yvonne, oh I remember those days well and am thankful my two are old enough to want to do things for their birthday’s other than having a party. Sugar highs were a thing my two suffered with, a party wasn’t a proper birthday party without a twitchy vomitous child at the end of the day.

xx

2. 27th October 2016 / 6:43 pm

Ha – we were fairly lax this at birthday parties this year. I was cake making with 24 hours to go as well, I had the toppers but not the cake. I feel your pain!

3. 22nd October 2016 / 11:08 pm

I’ve left it late before, (ok maybe not quite as late as you!), but late enough to be panicking about replies and not having the minimum number required for the party. Reading this brought it all back! Now I diarise 6 weeks in advance to start planning, so we can get invites out in time. Even better, now I have a 10-year old, I’ve managed to convince him that having a family trip away or special treat is just as good as a party! #Sharingthebloglove

4. 22nd October 2016 / 2:38 pm

Pahaha! It’s my daughters 2nd birthday in January and first attempt at a party… I will try and remember these! #sharingthebloglove

5. 22nd October 2016 / 10:47 am

Forgot to add #sharingtheblogLOVE

6. 22nd October 2016 / 10:46 am

Ah this is funny. I hate birthday parties if I’m honest. There is so much pressure! My little man turns four in a December and the time has come to start thinking about it. We’ve decided this year to just have a smallish affair with the friends he sees most often and for my sins we are going to have it at home! I think I’ve thought about all of the things you’ve mentioned though so hopefully it will go okay. Just the thought of it is making my tummy turn though. Arghh!

7. 21st October 2016 / 7:49 pm

So funny! I was super organised for my son’s 1st but wouldn’t say I loved planning it. I’m already thinking of simpler ways to do things next time! x #SharingtheBlogLove

8. 21st October 2016 / 3:43 am

haha this was amusing! Reminds me of when I kept bluffing my husband for his birthday telling him the day was a surprise then on the day I had to just make it up as I went! Turned out ok though #sharingthebloglove

9. 20th October 2016 / 10:56 pm

I’m awful at planning kids’ parties, this just sounds just like me. It’s now cinema and something to eat after, out of the house max six friends – let’s keep this manageable! #sharingthebloglove

10. 20th October 2016 / 8:42 pm

I just had my son’s birthday party earlier this week, luckily I ordered his cake well in advance and his little outfit.It sounds like you got around to doing a great job at the end, birthdays can get a little stressful, we were still running around on the day getting party hats, snacks, etc #sharingthebloglove

11. 20th October 2016 / 5:11 pm

Brilliant, really enjoyed reading this, children’s birthday parties can be really stressful, I haven’t attempted pass the parcel but remember my mum wrapping mine in newspaper, now i know why! #sharingthebloglove

12. 20th October 2016 / 4:11 pm

He he, love this. I’m terrible for leaving everything to the last minute, sounds like you pulled it off though x
    #SharingtheBlogLove

13. 20th October 2016 / 2:58 pm

Sounds like my sister organising parties! At least you’ve learnt from your errors and can see the funny side now!
    #sharingthebloglove

14. 20th October 2016 / 2:47 pm

THIS IS SO ME. ALL OF IT. My son is 4 in December and this will be EXACTLY me. The mother who forgets Parents Evening every. single. time. Great post 😀

15. 20th October 2016 / 1:18 pm

Oh no! These are definately the ingredients for a stressful time. Good luck remembering it all next year. I always forget something. Usually to invite a friend!
    #SharingtheBlogLove

16. 18th October 2016 / 11:31 pm

Aaaahh kids parties are so stressful aren’t they! My daughter’s birthday isn’t until May but I’m already thinking of what to do! #The List

17. 18th October 2016 / 8:42 pm

I love this! I actually love planing parties, but I am so crap at baking cake. For the past 2 years I had to resort to buying birthday cake at the last minute! I think next time I should have just buy the dam cake! lol! Thank you so much for linking up with us on #FabFridayPost

18. 17th October 2016 / 9:28 pm

We don’t have huge parties each year #terriblemum! But they are so stressful!!! I think you did what every mum has done!!

19. 17th October 2016 / 7:06 pm

Last year I was the mum that planned the girls joint party months in advance. I had lists for everything. This year I left everything to the last minute and it was a bit crazy. I think I will go for somewhere in the middle next time!! Thanks for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove x

20. 16th October 2016 / 2:09 pm

I am a terrible birthday party planning mother – I’ve still not braved the full on ‘invite other kids’ style party, although I’m not sure that I’ll be able to escape it for another year. At 3 I think he’s definitely going to want a proper party, not a collection of adults for some tea and shop bought cake! I’m reassured by your story though – it all worked out ok in the end (apart from the sick – I don’t deal well with that either!) THanks so much for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove

21. 16th October 2016 / 5:00 am

I love this! Even though it was a scramble, it turned out to be a great party! I can’t imagine how full your hands are, it was hard enough for me with one, but you have 2 monkeys the same age. You inspire me with all you accomplish!

I love the GIFs you added to the post, they are so funny! I’m glad it turned out ok, I’m sure no one else noticed anything, they were busy having too much fun!

BTW, love the new look and header!

22. 14th October 2016 / 10:34 pm

Ooopsss, ohhh noooo!! I try to be organised otherwise I stress way too much. Thanks for linking up #bestandworst

23. 14th October 2016 / 10:13 pm

From my experience you need to plan birthday parties well in advance or else it doesn’t always work to plan.

24. 14th October 2016 / 8:27 pm

Hahah this sounds like when I was planning my wedding!! I am notorious for being disorganised so my friends are very used to me remembering to invite them to things at the last minute, although the school mums aren’t quite familiar with that yet!! I’m sure he had an absolute blast, all of that sugar was probably a lot of fun for him….at the time! #fabfridaypost

25. 14th October 2016 / 8:08 pm

Ugh…I hate organizing parties. I always forget something or do something horrendous. Once I booked my sons party at a far, that was literally 4 hours away (because I have no sense of direction) want to guess how many people showed up? Another time I forgot to invite EVERY.SINGLE.GRANDPARENT (I used FB event to invite and forgot they don’t have FB). The best one ever was when I forgot to order a birthday cake…that takes a real genius. (as a side note I do have 3 kids so at least I didn’t do this all to one poor child)

26. 14th October 2016 / 8:07 pm

This made me laugh! So true! #FabFridayPost

27. 14th October 2016 / 4:56 pm

Oh boy! My eldest turns 4 next month and I have promised a small party at home with a few friends. I think I will go invite them all now just to be sure! haha x #sharingthebloglove

28. 14th October 2016 / 12:48 pm

Can I tell you how glad I am to be past this stage and at the point where I tell my kids “pick three friends, choose if we go have pizza, or a movie, or a sleepover” and it’s easy to organize and doesn’t leave me reaching for the gin bottle… Kids parties are not my favourite!

#effitfriday

29. 14th October 2016 / 11:13 am

After years of birthday parties for my girls, my poor son has never had one yet. He will be 5 in 12 days time (during half term) yet again I am fobbing him off with a day out instead of a party, seems to work for the time being – but maybe next year we’ll do a proper one! Sarah #FabFridayPost

30. 13th October 2016 / 11:56 pm

Sounds like something I would do!
    (Sounds like something I have done!)

Last year my eldest had a “birthday joint christening” party with her little sister because I planned the christening and forgot her birthday!
    Bad mum here! 😛

Everything turned out okay though and she enjoyed it!

#SharingTheBlogLove

31. 13th October 2016 / 11:05 pm

Ooo I couldn’t handle the last minuteness of it all. I stress about my big girls party for months before they day, last year I hadn’t booked everything by a month before and it was super hard to get stuff booked in.
    Glad it worked out ok in the end.

32. 13th October 2016 / 10:52 pm

hahahaha oh no!!! It sounds like it all worked out well in the end. I used to be super organised before I had my daughter and was always so excited about planning birthday parties. I always leave it to last minute now and regret it every time. x

33. 13th October 2016 / 10:34 pm

I am so bad at planning parties, in my head, it will be Pinterest perfect but in reality, I panic and book the soft play at the last minute xx

34. 13th October 2016 / 2:54 pm

I hate organising parties and I believe organising parties for kids is even more challenging.

35. 13th October 2016 / 2:26 pm

This made me chuckle. Thankfully we have not had any major disasters but I do have a reputation for throwing a good party which is a bit of a curse

36. 13th October 2016 / 11:33 am

Pahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!! Sounds so like me…and my mum.
    She has organised a 60th birthday party for herself and my dad and has been so disorganised. I’ve ended up doing half of it, currently feel like a wedding planner!! Roll on Sunday 😉 xx

37. 13th October 2016 / 12:10 am

LOL!! This made me chuckle! I am a bit of a freak and LOVE planning – but I stress during the party lol.

38. Sarah - mud cakes and wine
    12th October 2016 / 10:53 pm

Ha ha ha love this post, my boys party’s were at our local small but perfectly formed soft play. But booked too late and had to do it at random weekend and had to text friends to save the date. Cakes come from tesco here. I am proper party rubbish #bloggerclubuk

39. 12th October 2016 / 4:01 pm

Yet to experience a party blunder, but my goodness this post will be ringing loudly in my ears when i plan a party! #bestandworst

40. 12th October 2016 / 2:25 pm

I don’t mind organising parties for Blake but that may change when he has more friends so more organising to do.

41. 12th October 2016 / 12:32 pm

I hate organising parties! I’m trying to convince T to just go away for her birthday, to a lovely place, maybe even go to Disney again… Anything just to avoid the dreaded organising. Hahaha. I bet in spite all that, the kids had a blast 😉

42. Anne
    12th October 2016 / 11:44 am

I love kids parties, I do everything myself and make the cake. I have forgotten a few things here and there but they generally go well. I think your post is hilarious, I could have so been there if not for being a control freak! My worst disaster was when I had a party for my daughter in the summer which we planned to have in the garden, unfortunately my neighbours had decided to hold a garden party on the same day and there’s was for adults, lots and lots and lots of them, having a bbq, playing loud music and even talking really loud. The poor kids couldn’t play any of the games I’d spent hours on setting up because they just couldn’t hear anything over the neighbours noise. Our party soundtrack was drowned out and the kids just ended up going wild in the garden. so my tip would be to make sure the neighbours were not having a party on the same day.

43. 12th October 2016 / 9:47 am

I must be mad, I just love organising parties for kids (it does help having a DJ for a husband as he takes over all the games etc) leaving me with the food to sort out x