Birthday Celebrations

This month is birthday month for the monkeys.  I can’t believe that they are four already – although if you ask them they will tell you they are ten!  To see my blog on the boys birthday, visit here.

Most people have one birthday but they have somehow managed to draw it out over 1.5 weeks!

So what did we get up to celebrate?  Well we did loads of fun stuff and were lucky enough to have lots of family visiting!  I guess you could say their birthday was split into three parts….

The Party!

A garden is set for a birthday party, with a happy birthday banner and balloons. Chairs are laid out in a row waiting for guests.

The garden is all set for the party! Thankfully it was a sunny day.

Ah the birthday party.  As I said in a post a few months back, there is a huge benefit to having twins.  Only one birthday party per year.  I can tell you this, I could not help but think back on this comment last week!

We were lucky.  We had family visiting and everyone chipped into help prepare.  Although we were fairly organised, I still felt the stress on the morning of party day.

It didn’t help of course, that I had only started organising the party a few days before.  This was due to a mixture of being away quite a bit beforehand, not getting a chance to see people to invite them and just letting life get in the way.

The party went off without a hitch.

We had a mixture of German and British kids attend and everyone played so nicely!  There were very little arguments and the boys had a ball – which was the main thing!

We played some classic games, pin the tail on the donkey was a huge hit and I didn’t realise how streesfull pass the parcel!  Trying to make sure every child got to unwrap a layer is a lot harder than you would think!

At the end of the party, we did a treasure hunt.  We hid coins around the garden, which the kids could exchange for pressies and sweets to fill their party bags.  This was such a huge hit, the kids loved it! I cant take the credit for this idea though, we had done a similar thing at a party a few weeks ago.

The boys ended up having a great day, ate far too many sweets and didn’t want the day to end.  Which is exactly how it should be.

Chocolate birthday cake with bob the builder characters and vehicles

The Birthday Cake

Mummy was mean though, the boys were only allowed to open two pressies after the party.  I squirrelled away the rest to be handed out later on in the week.

The boys were not impressed, but they were pretty happy to get to open a pressie a day for the next week.

Oh and I managed to learn a thing or two this year about planning a party.  So look out for my blog post next week as I discuss How NOT to plan a children’s birthday party.

The Birthday Day

A little boy opens presents

D starts to open his pressies!

The boys were lucky to have Grandma, Grandad, Mummy Dee Dee (aunt) and Daddy Dee Dee (uncle), Mummy and Daddy around on their birthday.  This was a birthday treat in itself as we live so far away from all our loved ones.

We were very fortunate as we were also in the middle of a heatwave in Germany.

So there was only one thing for it, after opening pressies we headed to the outdoor pool!  As the sun shone, we played in the pool, raced down the slides, enjoyed the warm weather and had a lovely picnic.  It really was the stuff of memories.

For the boys birthday dinner we had a BBQ at home.  It really was a lovely day.

The Kindergarten Party

As we had family visiting the week of the birthday we kept the boys off kindergarten.

So when they returned they had yet another birthday party!  They had a great time eating cake.  And they came home sporting homemade birthday hats!

I think you will agree it was a pretty busy time for the kids!  They loved every minute and are already asking when they will have another birthday.  What I am not sure they realise is that this will be their last birthday in Germany.  We are planning a move back to London, so we are now counting down the lasts; last birthday, last christmas….

And yes just in case you are wondering, you can expect many posts about the struggles of moving home and country over the next few months!

See what we got up to for the fourth birthday celebrations #ontheblog

1. September 28, 2016 / 11:32 pm

Sounds like quite the week (and a half!) My little guy is three and has been planning his birthday party for the last week or two. Too bad it is 8 months away still! He doesn’t quite grasp what that means… so we continue to plan the party 😉
    Carlee recently posted…Apple Cider Caramel Sauce #appleweekMy Profile

2. September 29, 2016 / 9:57 am

Ah lovely. It sounds like you all had a great time. I know what you mean about feeling the stresses of a party though. My little one is four the week before Christmas and it always feels like a panic at that time of year! I still haven’t decided what we will do. Just a few of his closest friends I think, rather than the whole of his nursery! I’m looking forward to reading how NOT to do it though! #sharingtheBLOGlove
    Jaki recently posted…The Centre Of His WorldMy Profile

3. September 29, 2016 / 10:35 am

Goodness I feel from following your blog that this fourth birthday creeped up super fast! Happy birthday to your little monkeys and thanks for linking up to #coolmumclub lovely xx

4. September 29, 2016 / 3:48 pm

Sounds like you all had a great time. Happy birthday to your monkeys! x #sharingthebloglove

5. September 29, 2016 / 4:20 pm

Well done you, you did an amazing job of making their birthday special. I love that treasure hunt idea, totally stealing that for next year!!! It must be a strange one for you, to be moving to London, lots of mixed feelings. But you won’t be far from me, hopefully our paths will cross, you lucky lady 🙂 Thank you for joining us again at #SharingtheBlogLove X
    Laura – dear bear and beany recently posted…Review: Real Baking Great Baking Set and Cake Pops #RealBakingMy Profile

6. September 30, 2016 / 12:34 pm

That sounds like an amazing birthday celebration! My sister always manages to string out the celebrations over a month – this sounds almost restrained in comparison! I’d never considered the pressure of pass the parcel on the music stopper – I think I’m not cut out for that job! And I love the idea of the treasure hunt int the garden, I’m mentally bookmarking that one! Thanks so much for joining us again at #SharingtheBlogLove

7. September 30, 2016 / 8:48 pm

Oh my gosh how wonderful! I love the idea of dragging it out, sounds like it would make them feel very special! xx #fabfridaypost

8. October 2, 2016 / 10:30 am

What a lovely post, really like the idea of hiding the coins!! Thanks for linking up to the #bestandworst

9. October 3, 2016 / 8:37 pm

How fun! I bet it’s great to have someone to celebrate your birthday with. And always have someone your size who can be a playmate!

The party looks like a blast, and to the boys being outside all day had to be the best ever. Then to be surrounded by family too, PRICELESS! I want a birthday like that! LOL

What a great idea to spread the gifts out, sometimes there is so much when they are little that somethings get lost in the bunch!

And the cake is awesome! Bet they loved it.
    Nikki Frank-Hamilton recently posted…Hens and Chicks Succulent – Stunning ShotsMy Profile

10. October 3, 2016 / 9:19 pm

THAT CAKE! My mouth is watering just looking at it. Happy birthday to your twins and thanks for linking with #FabFridayPost

11. October 4, 2016 / 4:03 am

This is a bit like our current situation. My daughter will turn 4 next week, but we had her party this weekend. It was interesting trying to explain to her that no, she is not getting another birthday, that this weekend was just her PARTY, that she doesn’t actually turn 4 until next week! lol Thanks for sharing on Fab Friday link up.

12. October 7, 2016 / 12:40 pm

Happy Birthday Monkeys! 🙂 Sound like a lot of fun and entertainment at the party there. I haven’t done a BD party at home before I can imagine how stressful this can be! But I love the cake though. That’s so Fab! I think it is a great idea that the boys are allow to choose just only two gifts per day – that just keep the excitement going – doesn’t it. 🙂

Thank you so much for linking up with us on #FabFridayPost x
    Su {Ethan & Evelyn} recently posted…#FabFridayPost Linky #52 {07.10.16}My Profile