Have We Survived Week One of the Holidays?

So we are one week down, I repeat, one week down.  We have reached the end and have just about survived intact.

Wine has helped.

Quick Getaway

Well I kicked the week off by running away and jumping on a plane.  No, in case you are wondering, I am not joking.  See my post here.

I went away with a couple of friends and just about managed to survive by shopping, eating and possibly drinking too much prosecco.

The boys managed a little too well without me – with daddy managing a trip to the zoo and a day out to the local medieval festival.

After a lovely weekend away, I couldn’t wait to see my wee family.  I was actually running out of the doors waiting to give them a hug.  Unfortunately they were not there, stuck in traffic so I had a restless ten minute wait for them to arrive.

So what have we been up to this week?  Have we survived?

The hubby and I have been sharing childcare and this has been pretty successful I think, on the whole.  We have survived.  However my blog has suffered a little due to having less time to sit down and concentrate.

The boys get pretty restless if they are in the house all day, so we have been trying to get them out and about.

We had a fun day at the swimming pool on Monday.  Our local pool is brilliant, slides, waves, bubbles… The boys couldnt wait to get into the pool:

Running as fast as we can to the swimming pool this afternoon. Got to love summer holidays 😀☀️

A photo posted by Double The Monkey Business (@doublethemonkeybusiness) on

Park Life

Tuesday saw a trip to the park.  Which was all very lovely until L decided to climb up the slide the wrong way, something I have told him not to do time and time again.  There was a heartstopping moment as he slipped, however after a few tears, he jumped up and ran off undeterred.   On the other hand, it took me a few days to get it over it.  Parenting eh?

Park life! I want to know where the sun has gone!

A photo posted by Double The Monkey Business (@doublethemonkeybusiness) on

On Wednesday, the boys best kindergarten friend came over for a playdate.

We baked cakes.  Before you get the wrong impression that I am some kind of earth mother able to bake with three nearly four-year-olds, it was one of prepacked box kind.  Still cakes were made, and eaten (all of them).

Boys had a lovely time, even though D had to have a wee nap on the couch half way through.  It all got a little much for him.

Thursday was a pretty quiet day,  we had a lovely catch up with Grandma and Grandad over FaceTime.  I feel forever thankful for modern technology. The boys then got ridiculously over-excited about having a bubble bath, I always regret putting bubbles in the bath , they go a bit giddy with excitement.  Not what you want just before bed.

At bedtime, we had a new instalment of animal stories.  This is a new thing in our family, where the boys choose a selection of animals and we make up a story.  There is only one problem with this.  The animals each have a different voice and sometimes I forget who speaks like who, thankfully the boys dont seem to notice.

Apparently tomorrow the animals are going to space so I better get my thinking cap on!

Friday Fun Day

Friday was a fun day, everything seemed to go wrong for me.  Do you ever just have one of those days?  Everything I did was wrong… to say I felt flustered is an understatement.   Nothing too tragic happened it was more little things, like getting to the shop and realising I have no money, forgetting half the stuff on the shopping list, that kind of thing.

Anyway, we did manage to fit in a playdate, and a chance to have a cuppa with a friend in the morning.  In the afternoon while Daddy looked after the boys, I went to report on something called ‘Camp Adventure’, this was great fun as I got to see what the kids in summer camp have been up to and got to watch their end of year show.  Gives me a little insight into what to expect in the years to come.

German Safari

Yesterday we went to the safari park.  It was a great day apart from the traffic jam we got stuck in.  Instead of taking us 1 hour 20 mins, it took us three hours to get there.  However, once we did it was worth it.  The animals were coming right up to the car, some sticking their head in the window.  Then there were loads of rides for the boys to enjoy afterwards.  It was a fab day, although daddy had to save me as the boys fell asleep on the miniature railway.  Thankfully he came and met me, so we could carry two sleepy boys back to the car.   For all our photos check out our Instagram account here.

In the evening we had a great movie night and let the kids stay up to watch The Good Dinosaur.  They loved the movie and it was nice to let them have a treat.  Sometimes having a nap in the day can be a good thing !

What is coming up for week 2?

This week, we have called in the cavalry.  Our nieces are coming to visit.  Which means the boys get to go to the airport to collect them.  They are so excited to have visitors and seeing the aeroplanes!

We survived

1. August 7, 2016 / 7:15 pm

Well done on getting througj your 1st week. You have packed so much in!

August 7, 2016 / 7:55 pm

Not sure if we can keep it up is the only problem ha ha! xx

August 7, 2016 / 8:29 pm

The boys did notice the voices tonight, I was told I wasnt doing it right. I think I am never going to get to read a normal book again and I am soon going to run out of ideas. Either that or I am going to start a new career as a children’s book writer ha ha! x

2. August 8, 2016 / 12:39 am

You really have done so much in the first week! My little one goes back to nursery on the 17th and I’m trying to fit so much fun stuff in now that he’s feeling better. The safari park sounds great!

Jordanne || Thelifeofaglasgowgirl.co.uk
    Jordanne | Thelifeofaglasgowgirl recently posted…4 Things TagMy Profile

3. August 8, 2016 / 7:23 am

Wow what a busy week! As Archie has Autism I have to find the balance of planning activities and keeping us busy but not overwhelming him as his sensory issues go into overdrive. This week the weather looks pretty crappy so it’ll be lot’s of indoor activities
    Toni | Gym Bunny Mummy recently posted…OUR WEEKLY MEAL PLAN | 8TH AUGUST 2016My Profile

4. August 8, 2016 / 9:18 am

Good ideas and not too stressful. We do some cavalry calling too, grandparents usually. Glad it’s all going well so far..! #marvmondays

5. August 8, 2016 / 11:19 am

Sounds like you’ve had a fab week, lots of gorgeous photos! We are two weeks in here, survived the first with our holiday down in Devon (although not sure survived is the right word!) and now we have four weeks to fill. Good luck everyone! #MarvMondays
    laura dove recently posted…Oh I do like to be beside the seaside….(Part one)My Profile

6. August 8, 2016 / 3:14 pm

I think the summer holidays are an endurance race. Last week was successful but today the kids are driving me insane. Is it time for a glass of wine yet? #bigpinklink Lifeinthemumslane

7. August 8, 2016 / 3:56 pm

I think it’s really good that you managed to have a little bit of time away for yourself before the school holidays properly kicked in. Only another 5 weeks to go, you can do it! x

8. August 8, 2016 / 5:14 pm

We’ve had three weeks of the holidays already! nearly half way through though, deep breaths! x #bigpinklink

9. August 9, 2016 / 11:29 am

Glad you had your break! Nothing like a bit of shopping, drinking and eating to feel refreshed! Your first week of holidays sounds fun packed. I hope you did much sleeping in too. 3 hours to the safari? I think my kids would have had a melt down in the car! Glad it all worked out. Thanks for sharing with #bigpinklink
    Agent Spitback recently posted…Unknown Virus Turning Mothers into “Football Hooligans”My Profile

10. August 9, 2016 / 11:04 pm

Sounds like a fantastic week! My children are onto their third week now but for the first week, we were on holiday which was action packed! We have been doing crafts sessions with our local library on a Tuesday and had some playdates. The boys play football so we’ve still had football on top of all this too! We are waiting for the weather to improve as we want to take a picnic and climb a mountain. I also want to take them fruit picking or strawberry picking. There is a safari park within driving distance of our home and I thought about taking them so I hope your boys enjoyed their day out! Thanks for linking up to #AnythingGoes – sounds like you are having another busy week ahead!
    Janet recently posted…This Week at RRW – Rebrand and relaunch on the cards for RRW!My Profile

11. August 10, 2016 / 5:32 am

I always get so jealous when I read about all the fun places that people get to take their kids right in their own town. We have a jumpy house place and the bowling alley. Our public pool is only open three days a week and the 3 parks we have, have all metal equipment with no covers so unless you get there at 7am you are pretty much screwed. We have gone on a lot of vacations this summer though which has been nice. Good for you for jumping on a plane with some friends. Note to self…I need to do that. I am visiting from #bloggerclubuk

12. August 10, 2016 / 5:38 am

My blog has suffered tremendously this summer as well. I don’t have any excuses really other than life in general and 3 littles to entertain. Oh and my best friend came for a week and I didn’t want to be rude and spend her time here blogging so I don’t think I even opened social media while she was here. I love your gifs. Gifs always make a post a little bit more interesting I say. #bloggerclubuk.
    Trista, Domesticated Momster recently posted…How You Know It’s Time For The Kids To Go Back To SchoolMy Profile

13. August 10, 2016 / 7:49 pm

I love The Good Dinosaur – and I’m so impressed with your animal story idea! Well done you – one down, the rest will be a walk in the park! (Maybe literally haha).

Thanks for linking with #fartglitter x

14. August 11, 2016 / 11:50 pm

Right now you are my hero. I have four girls under age nine- the two year olds are identical twins.

15. August 17, 2016 / 3:14 pm

Well done you – winning at this mum lark if you ask me!
    We have been the same, a bit of fresh air each day but nothing over the top. Just a park, a walk, a bike ride. It’ll get easier as Ben gets older. At 2.5 he still can’t walk far without a pushchair whilst his brothers want to sprint off everywhere! It’s a juggling act…with lots of shouting 😉
    Hope your week has gone ok this week.xx
    Gemma Nuttall recently posted…8 Free or Thrifty things to do in Surrey…My Profile

16. August 21, 2016 / 2:25 pm

That is alot to do in one week! As we’re not quite school age yet, I’m forever looking for ways to fill the days, tricky with a newborn too. Thanks for linking up to #MarvMondays. Kaye xo
    Kaye recently posted…Five Little Things | 03 {newborn edition}My Profile