I will fly you to the moon and back…

“I will fly you to the moon and back, if you’ll be, if you’ll be my baby …”

Today has been a miserable day, by that I am referring to the weather.  The constant, never-ending rain.  Even more depressing than this is the constant reminders of how nice it usually is, through wonderful apps such as timehop.  Don’t get me wrong I love a bit of timehopping.  But, not when it reminds me of sunny days of yesteryear.  As regular readers will probably have realised, I do not have much love for rain.

Anyway, the question on days like this is how on earth do you entertain two three-and-a-half-year-olds (don’t forget the half).  I have come to realise that if I do not provide constant entertainment, then tears and tantrums can be plentiful!

First of all we decided to brave the world of painting.  The kids love painting.  It is a good way to keep them occupied.  In reality though, they only want to do it for an hour max and then they get bored.  An hour out of a whole day is not really enough to stop the squabbles.

Then inspiration struck:

On the radio at lunchtime today, I was listening to a DJ who was talking about the exciting day ahead tomorrow.  For those that have been hiding under a rock, Tim Peake is on his way home after six-months in space.  Which by any standards is pretty cool.  The DJ was also playing Savage Garden’s “To the moon and back” which I love!

Let’s go to the moon!

So I thought; let’s make a rocket.  That will be loads of fun and the kids will love helping me.  I ran the idea past the monkeys who agreed that would be loads of fun.  Particularly as they will get to visit the moon afterwards.

So off to the cellar we trekked as we dug out a large cardboard box to use.   My initial plan was to create the rocket in the cellar, which is not as awful as it sounds, we have decorated it and made a nice messy play area for craft activities.

However after Bob L noticed Mr Skinnylegs – a spider to anyone that is lucky enough to have never watched Peppa Pig – the mission was suspended while we transferred to the house.  I find it strange that L has a huge fear of spiders as no one else in this house is remotely bothered by them.

download

My Skinnylegs and George Pig

Anyway, once we I carried everything upstairs we got to work.

It turns out that the putting together of said rocket, along with cutting out of the doors and windows, is a tad boring when you are three.  The monkeys were soon pretty restless and desperate to just get on with making a mess decorating the rocket.

Also, as it turns out, cutting a round window on a cardboard box is not that easy.  Well not if you want it to resemble anything like a circle.

So, eventually – after lots of: “don’t glue that there”, “just wait” and “no you cant play with scissors” – the much awaited rocket was finally ready to be decorated.  An activity that was over in less than ten minutes.

fly me to the moon....

Bob D decorates the door

IMG_6597

Bob L adds some much needed stickers

IMG_6601

Blast Off!

It was soon time for my little spacemen to take off to the moon and have lots of fun.

It was funny listening to the boys count down from ten.  They get a bit confused counting backward and it usually goes something like this: “ten, nine, eight, nine, six, seven, five, five, four, two, three, two, one”.  They get there eventually and soon they were waving to me from my perfectly cut window (ahem!) as they took off on a new adventure.

Ten minutes later they were asking to watch Shaun the Sheep.

Seems like an awful lot of work for not much playtime afterwards.  On the plus side, they are now watching Shaun the Sheep from inside the rocket, through my perfectly cut window.  So it has not been a complete waste.

Happy Friday!

IMG_6604

The Rocket! Probably not very Pinterest worthy!

1. 29th August 2016 / 6:21 pm

My kids would love this!! Especially the decorating!

6th September 2016 / 7:14 pm

They loved it, I felt sad when it was time to bin it – they had a lot of fun with it x

2. 30th June 2016 / 1:38 am

Great effort mommy! And the result turned out great. It’s hard entertaining little ones especially being stuck inside. It’s too hot to do anything but lay in a pool right now here…which we don’t have…but like you, my Timehop loves to remind me of the times we did. Thanks for linking with #momsterslink :))

3rd July 2016 / 8:34 pm

It is so hard when you are stuck inside! Not sure how I can top this though ha ha!

3. 26th June 2016 / 3:01 am

lol! Yes, it is so Pinterest worthy! I love all the efforts put into it. Bravo mama! Thank you so much for sharing your story with us on #FabFridayPost

27th June 2016 / 7:07 pm

ha ha I did put it on pinterest anyway 🙂 it was fun to do although the rocket is no more I am afraid, too much flying to the moon! x

4. 22nd June 2016 / 3:07 pm

Oh you are one resourceful Mummy! I can never think up crafty things to do – I’m utterly rubbish at that side of parenting! They look like they have had a lot of fun though! Thanks for sharing on #fortheloveofBLOG x

27th June 2016 / 7:28 pm

ha ha thank you, pinterest is my friend for ideas. Oh and seeing what other bloggers are up too for inspiration too 🙂

5. 22nd June 2016 / 8:28 am

What a great idea. I always find it hard to think of craft things to do with Evie. So many have a lot of adult or older children prep that makes them boring for young ones and I find a lot that we spend loads of time making something for not a lot of play. At least with this fabulous rocket, they now have a new den they can play in again and again. x

27th June 2016 / 7:29 pm

That is true, I am usually not great with thinking up ideas to be honest xx

6. 20th June 2016 / 9:30 am

the spontaneous idea are the best!! isn’t it funny the way “mummy ends up carrying everything tho.. what a fab rainy day activity.. i,ll keep that one up my sleeve

27th June 2016 / 7:15 pm

ha ha yes indeed, I always end up doing all the work 🙂 x

7. Kerry Norris
    20th June 2016 / 7:55 am

Oh this looks great fun. Very impressive. Think I will be doing this once I get a big box delivery x

27th June 2016 / 7:15 pm

Apparently I am doing a train next… x

27th June 2016 / 7:15 pm

It was fun, if a little frustrating at points ha ha! x

8. 19th June 2016 / 9:53 am

Great inspiration for a wet day – very impressed with your round window, I have tried that before and they are not easy at all!

27th June 2016 / 7:16 pm

I was surprised by how hard it was to do the circle to be honest x

9. 18th June 2016 / 6:33 pm

That’s so awesome, the best play is imaginative play. We used to have great fun with cardboard boxes, egg cartons, milk cartons. It’s amazing little minds can create!

27th June 2016 / 7:17 pm

It is amazing when you can do when you cant leave the house for a day 🙂 x

10. 18th June 2016 / 3:00 pm

The rocket turned out great! I can’t believe how fast you guys made it. I bet there has been a lot of exciting & fun space missions to the moon since! #MomsterLink

27th June 2016 / 7:18 pm

Lots of fun with it, although I think it is on its last legs now, it has been flattened a few times x

11. 18th June 2016 / 2:52 pm

I can’t wait to be able to do fun stuff like this with my little girl. I’m excited about making forts on rainy days.

27th June 2016 / 7:18 pm

Oh yes forts are always good fun we did that this weekend 🙂 x

12. Leah Miller
    17th June 2016 / 6:47 pm

I love this! What a fantastic idea and so much fun for your little men!

I am such a bad mum, I hate doing anything crafty, normally because they spend 2 minutes making and the I spend an hour cleaning! You have inspired me though!

Xx

27th June 2016 / 7:19 pm

Oh yes the cleaning up is a pain! x