Alpaca and Llama Therapy

Alpaca and Llama Therapy

On Friday, I went with the boys on a kindergarten trip to an alpaca and llama therapy farm.

I wondered what it would entail.  The sheet said: “alpaca and llama therapy helps stimulate attention, concentration skills and promotes self esteem”.  I had never heard of this but knew the boys would love it.

My hopes for the day were to learn the difference between llamas and alpacas, as I truly had no idea.

In case you don’t know the difference, I took photos as a visual guide:

Hi, I am a llama 🙂

Hi, I am an alpaca 🙂

Got it?

I did get one very handy peace of advice: a llama has: “Ohren wie eine Banane”.  For those who don’t sprechen Sie Deutsch (speak German), this means “ears like a banana”.  So I can now safely say that I will never again not know the difference.  Unless, I forget, of course.  I have a terrible memory, so that is not outside the realms of possibility.

The trip started with Kaffee und Kuchen: coffee and cake.  The kids were thrilled to be given Apfelshorle (fizzy apple juice) which is always a treat.  There were plenty of biscuits on hand, which is a good thing; my two love to eat.

After the refreshments, the kids were allowed to feed and touch the llamas and alpacas, which they LOVED.  Well Bob L did.  Bob D refused to go near them, saying they were a little too big for him.

The children scared the poor creatures slightly with shouts of “mehr” (more), while they tried to feed them more straw.  No matter how many times I told Bob L to not shout, he just couldn’t contain his squeals of delight.

Feeding the LLAMAS Feeding the Llamas

Chewbacca – Where Are You?

We found out when we got there that Bob D had been expecting something slightly different.

When I was explaining where we were going, Bob D misheard me.  I said that we were going to the alpaca farm, but he thought I had said ‘Chewbacca’ farm.

As a little boy who has just discovered Star Wars, he was pretty gutted that Han Solo and friends were not there to greet him.

On a sidenote, it is amazing the power of peer pressure.  Due to the older kids at kindergarten, the boys knew all the names of characters from Star Wars before they had even seen any of the movies or cartoons.  Either that or they have a Star Wars chip automatically inserted into their brains these days….anyway… I digress…

The highlight of the day for the kids, however, was the Bobby Cars.  Even though they have these cars at kindergarten, it was exciting to try the bobby cars in a new environment.  Here is Bob L doing his stuff:

Bob L having fun!

All in all, it was a fab day out and resulted in the boys going to sleep at bedtime without any fuss; win-win all round!

Here are a couple of other pics from our day out:

Let me know in the comments what trips you have been on with nursery/kindergarten.

Chewbacca says goodbye:

Like this post, visit: Winter Wonderland: The Revenge.

My Random Musings
My Kid Doesn't Poop Rainbows

1. May 16, 2016 / 2:03 pm

I MUST get myself an alpaca. I don’t think my life will truly be complete without one. I digress… We took a trip last week “crickin” which means we waded thru a creek turning over rocks looking for tiny bugs. I know, hold your applause- it was everything I hoped it would be. Sorry Chewbacka never made an appearance, talk about bummed.

May 21, 2016 / 7:41 pm

That is a bummer ha ha! We are planning on taking the boys to a barefoot park this summer, I reckon they will love it 🙂 xx

2. May 16, 2016 / 4:16 pm

Haven’t the alpacas got odd little faces?! Glad you enjoyed it and can now tell the difference! By the way, the word for more in Swedish is “mer” – the languages are very similar!

May 21, 2016 / 7:41 pm

Oh that is very similar!!! I actually find German and English very similar. I can usually work out what is being said even though my German is not that good. It is the sentence structure that is big difference. My boys speak in English with a German structure sometimes as they get confused between the two (and they are so used to speaking German) x

3. May 16, 2016 / 8:50 pm

I love the alpaca! I really want one, they are so beautiful and they make good guard pets, apparently!

May 21, 2016 / 7:37 pm

I wanted to sneak one home with us but I thought the hubby might object.. xx

4. May 16, 2016 / 9:52 pm

I so want an alpaca. They’re like a teddy bear version of a llama! (And PS I absolutely love llamas too!) They have llamas at our local petting farm and I always make a bee line for them. The tots love to feed them carrots, even my 20 month old. It’s quite amusing watching him stuff carrots into their eager little mouths while I’ve seen grown men stand back and just throw the food into the field for them as “they’re a bit big aren’t they?” I think it’s the eyes that do it. So cute!
    Thanks for sharing with #fartglitter x

May 21, 2016 / 7:36 pm

They are incredibly cute. So very calm and gentle, I was really surprised. x

5. May 17, 2016 / 7:40 pm

Aw so lovely, but I have to admit that I agree with Bob D, I would have wanted to see the Chewbaccas too!

I have heard a lot recently about the healing power of animals and their use in therapy, I met a therapy dog the other day, who I absolutely wanted to steal but wasn’t allowed. It is so lovely that your boys and the other kids had a great time, and even better that they got sparkling apple, my fave!!
    Leah Miller recently posted…The Day That Everything Changed.My Profile

May 21, 2016 / 7:32 pm

I have to admit I could understand his disappointment. He was pretty happy with my Chewbacca GIF on my blog though, he watched it for ages and kept laughing. x

6. May 17, 2016 / 8:39 pm

That looks like a fab day out. Alpacas are lush! X

May 21, 2016 / 7:31 pm

They were incredibly cute, I wanted to adopt

7. May 23, 2016 / 1:06 pm

Oh wow this looks like fun! They are gorgeous creatures, one of our favourites at the zoo! My friend actually has a few of these on her farm, she says they are very tame as they look in your photos! #FabFridaypost

May 27, 2016 / 4:59 pm

They are just so calm and nice to be around 🙂 I wanted to adopt one.. x