Leaving Home (L)

Leaving Home

The girl is leaving home.  Just 17.  Left school.  With memories of sitting on the grass, listening to ‘Sittin on the Dock of the Bay’ fresh in her mind.

Wondering what the world has in store.  She has only ever lived in this city.  The girl doesn’t know anything different.

She has a place at University.  In a city, not to far, that is bigger and altogether scarier.

Sitting on her childhood bed, she daydreams.  What is next for this girl?  Where is this new adventure going to take her?  How will this girl cope?  She has no experience of the world.  Of course, right at that moment she doesn’t know she has no experience of the world.  She knows it all, doesn’t she?

She starts to pack

Trying to figure out what on earth she needs to take, for survival on her own.  No parents to guide her.  It was harder than she could even imagine. Bit by bit she packs a few belongings.

The day comes when she sees her Dad pack the car.  Her heart is in her mouth as she kisses her mum goodbye.  Not just a mum, her best friend.  She is leaving.

Her mum is being brave, holding back the tears as she sees her little girl, who still seems so young to her, start to make her way into the big bad world.  She knows it has to be done. She is ignoring the words from her own father which rings through her: “You are making her too independent” he said, “I have to let her make her own way” she answers back.

Still, despite knowing this is a step her little girl needs to take, when the time comes it is harder than she expects.  She waves goodbye.  As the car turns the corner, she breaks down.

The girl is in the car, watching silently as buildings rush past in a blur.

Off to the big city she goes

They arrive all to soon.  “I am not ready for this” she thinks.  She says nothing to her Dad.

They park outside the halls of residence.  Collect the keys.  Unlock the door.  A few other girls have arrived already.  They say hello as they unload the car into her box room.  She can see the bright lights of the big city outside her bedroom window. She feels a mix of excitement and nerves.  Wonder and fear all rolled into one.

The time is here, she says goodbye to her Dad.  She gulps the tears back.  They hug and she watches him drive away.  The tears come now, happy and sad.  She is about to embark on one of the best years of her life.  The girl is lucky.  She is missed.

Her Dad drives away, sadness overwhelms him.   His little girl, all grown up.  What will her life be like?  Who will she become?  Will she be happy?

Time will tell.

Did you like this?  Check out A Letter to My Teenage Self

Domesticated Momster
Pick N Mix Fridays

A Mum Track Mind
Rhyming with Wine
The girl is leaving home, going to University. Will she be happy?

1. April 14, 2016 / 5:26 pm

This took me back to when I started university! Such an exciting but also really scary time, not knowing what is out there! #coolmumclub

2. April 14, 2016 / 9:24 pm

I left home twice…first time with a unsuitable boyfriend (Mum gave me a suitcase for ‘when I move back home’), the second time she redecorated my room the next day. I only ever moved down the road though so it was more of a see you later, than a goodbye!
    This was a lovely moving account of how I imagine it would be moving away to go to Uni..
    Thanks for sharing with #coolmumclub PS How are the beds going?!

3. April 15, 2016 / 8:37 am

So beautiful – really sums up that bittersweet feeling of leaving home for the first time and brought back my own memories of starting university very vividly 🙂

• April 15, 2016 / 12:31 pm

It was a long time ago but it really took me back there. I would write about what happened next but think it was mostly partying ha ha! X

4. randommusings29
    April 15, 2016 / 10:01 am

Brilliant, so well written! I felt like I was there. I hope there was a happy ending 🙂

5. April 15, 2016 / 10:14 am

This made me emotional, is that acceptable? I hope that the story ends well, I am currently struggling with life on my own (well, with a husband) and I am nearly an hour away from my parents so I struggle being by myself. I love this very much.

http://Www.prettyinplaydough. com

6. April 15, 2016 / 2:33 pm

Aww I remember the feeling of moving away for the first time, such a mix of excitement and nerves! very well written! #pickNmix

7. April 15, 2016 / 7:34 pm

Yep, that’s pretty much how I felt when I went away to college. I found you on #momsterslink.

8. April 15, 2016 / 8:26 pm

I can imagine my daughter will find this way when she goes off to Uni. Thank goodness that’s many years from now. I remember feeling really excited though when I was also also preparing for University years ago 🙂 I can’t believe it was that long ago though, still can remember my first day.

• April 16, 2016 / 7:13 am

The thought of them being all grown up and me being the parent saying goodbye fills me with dread. Xx

• April 16, 2016 / 7:14 am

When we are 17/18 we just want to make our own way, ready or not. I was probably a little young and for the first year went home a lot. I found second year a lot easier, I was more settled. X

9. April 16, 2016 / 12:07 am

This reminds me of the time when I was 19 and decided to travel halfway across the world from Malaysia to the UK to study… Good times! 😀

Oliver • http://suedeandsymphony.com

• April 16, 2016 / 7:17 am

Oh wow, I was only an hour down the road! Such an amazing step into the world. I bet you were very excited when you stepped off that plane. Xx

• April 16, 2016 / 9:49 am

I was… Also very anxious but mainly excited!!

10. April 16, 2016 / 12:25 pm

Oh your making me cry, I’m sitting here with my 5 day old little girl and it feels like she’s grown up already reading this 🙂

May 3, 2016 / 8:03 pm

It is hard to imagine them all grown up when they are so small. Hope you are doing well, I loved your first 24 hours post. x

11. April 16, 2016 / 8:59 pm

I left home at the age of 22 only because I didn’t get on with my Step-mum. It wasn’t easy but it was a hard lesson. As my father reminded me at the time, he was married at my age. Anyway, moving out and living on your own at any age is a crash course at life. I wish your daughter luck at Uni and I loved Uni life. She will enjoy it.

Thanks for Sharing

John M

12. April 16, 2016 / 9:02 pm

I hope that she will be happy and I wish her the best of luck on her journey, it is scary but I know she can do it. They grow up so quickly don’t they?

13. nikkifrankhamilton
    April 20, 2016 / 12:51 am

What a great tale. When I went off to school I guess it was much the same, although I didn’t think about it much. I was terrified, but excited. I never stopped to think about my parents fears and worries. Now that my kids are getting there, I know what they, my parents, felt like. It’s so scary!

May 3, 2016 / 7:55 pm

The thought of my boys being older and leaving home frightens me I have to admit x

14. April 30, 2016 / 2:13 pm

I remember my dad leaving me at uni after he’d dropped me off. I felt so “alone” ! #fortheloveofBLOG

May 3, 2016 / 7:16 pm

I felt very alone too. I was incredibly homesick at first and went home often. It definitely got easier as I got older x

May 3, 2016 / 7:02 pm

15. May 3, 2016 / 11:04 am

Oh this made me feel a bit teary, thinking back to me moving out and one day it will be my little lad. Time moves to fast. Lovely narrative. #Fartglitter

May 3, 2016 / 7:01 pm

Oh yes the thought of it being my two little boys makes me feel very sad.. x

16. May 3, 2016 / 5:26 pm

This is really well written, and made me feel quite emotional. It took me back to the day that I left home to go to university where I was a whole mix of emotions, and I was super sad when they left me there. I’m pretty sure that my parents felt the same way. It was such a long time ago now, but those were the best years and I learnt so much, including meeting my husband. Thanks so much for joining us at #fortheloveofBLOG, and I hope you come back next week. Claire x

May 3, 2016 / 6:56 pm

Lovely to link up to #fortheloveofBLOG. I wrote this post when I was flying home to visit my parents, for some reason I started to think about when I left home and just started to write. This is where blogging can be a great outlet 🙂 x

17. September 22, 2016 / 7:39 am

Beautifully written. I could picture every emotion. Don’t who I want to hug more, you, your mom or your dad. Well done