Exit Strategy (E)

Exit Strategy in pictures. Photos by Double the Monkey Business

The Great Escape, an Exit Strategy!

This time last year my hubby and I were sitting down to a glass of wine on a Saturday evening.  The boys were in their cots but not yet asleep.

Suddenly we heard both boys roaring with laughter.  Don’t get me wrong, we are used to hearing the boys chat with each other as they fall asleep, but this was different.

We have a baby-cam set up in the boys’ nursery, so my hubby switched on the camera.  What he saw was not good news.  Bob L had a cot exit strategy!  We knew this day would come; it was only a matter of time.

So what was the exit strategy?

It was double over the cot bars and dive out of the cot…head first!  He then used the two cots to propel himself into his brother’s cot.  Both boys were beside themselves with laughter.  We realised that there was no way they were going to sleep with the promise of this kind of shenanigans going on.  Also I was beside myself with worry that he might break his neck.

The next day we realised we had no choice.  We had to make the plunge.  We had to swap for the dreaded big boy beds – argh!!!

Ikea is a parent’s best friend at times like this, with functional and attractive beds at affordable prices.

The next evening we entered into big boy bed territory.  The boys loved their beds.  They felt they were very grown up and were very excited.

Bob D was excellent; he has never tried to leave his bed.  I don’t know whether he feels he isn’t allowed to or whether he is less interested in the freedom than his brother.  Even now, at three and a half years old he still hasn’t realised he can leave his room.

Bob L is a bit more of an adventurer.  This transition started the beginning of popping down stairs to see us after bedtime.  There are so many funny storied about this it will provide material for a separate post.

They transitioned fairly easily though, on the whole.  What we didn’t know was that this was the beginning of the end for nap time – big sobs!

Like this post?  Check out our Parenting posts.

1. Morgan Prince
    15th April 2016 / 4:39 pm

Ha! I remember this. LP was trying to climb out of his cot when we decided to get him a bed, I think I would’ve gone mad if we hadn’t! I hope you (and your boys) cope well with the end of nap time!
    #coolmumclub

2. 13th April 2016 / 3:37 pm

Wow! He really likes his brother doesn’t he. Boys! lol! My Ethan could climb out of his cot when he was only 10 months! Evelyn on the other hand was a little later than that. Boy – talk about strategy! So funny! They definitely live up to the name “Double Monkey Business! lol! Thank you so much for sharing this post with us on #FabFridayPost:)

3. 13th April 2016 / 3:36 pm

Wow! He really likes his brother doesn’t he. Boys! lol! My Ethan could climb out of his cot when he was only 10 months! Evelyn on the other hand was a little later than that. Boy – talk about strategy! So funny! They finiaetly love up to the name “Double Monkey Business! lol! Thank you so much for sharing this post with us on #FabFridayPost 🙂

4. nikkifrankhamilton
    12th April 2016 / 8:58 pm

I am so impressed, I could barely corral one child, let alone two! They have such a great time together, but this would scare me to death! I was so afraid I’d drop my son, but the first time I heard him tumble out of his crib I was terrified! That’s funny that even at this age you can see how different they are, even as twins. Most of us don’t have a way to really compare our kids at the same age! I’m sorry about the end of the naps, I remember those fondly! LOL

5. Becky, Cuddle Fairy
    12th April 2016 / 1:01 pm

This is so funny & clever! The Bobs are so cute. I’m glad they are settling into their big boy beds so well. Long may it last. Thanks so much for joining us for #bloggerclubuk, hope you will be back again tomorrow! x

6. twotinyhands
    8th April 2016 / 9:09 am

That’s great! With a little man that’s just working out he can crawl I’m waiting / dreading for the day when he’s going to escape!!

• 9th April 2016 / 8:01 am

Ha ha, the time will come ! He might be like Bob D and not leave his big boy bed, you never know 🙂 x

7. 7th April 2016 / 9:19 pm

Wow, what an adventurer! Tigs transitioned from cot to bed at 20 months eamlessly…I have a feeling Dangermouse may be a cot climber-different kettle of fish!
    Good luck…let us know how it goes!
    Thanks for linking to #coolmumclub

8. randommusings29
    6th April 2016 / 10:18 pm

You have to kind of admire his determination to escape his cot! Glad to hear the boys adjusted well to their big boy beds 🙂
    Debbie

9. newmummyblogcom
    6th April 2016 / 9:15 pm

Oh wow! Great pictures! Your heart must have been in your mouth though, I think mine would be. I’m sure Toddler H will be trying this soon…. and dread it.

10. Leah Miller
    6th April 2016 / 9:43 pm

Ha! Brilliant! Clever little man! And even better because you got the whole thing on camera!

I am dreading the big bed stage, especially as we share our bedroom with our tiniest human – and if any of my kids are going to be out of bed every 3.5 minutes it will be her!!

11. 6th April 2016 / 5:59 pm

Oh boy! I know my son is gonna figure out how to climb out of his crib any day now!

12. 6th April 2016 / 4:48 pm

Lol! I find it easier now as I’m not stressing abt getting home for nap time!

• 6th April 2016 / 4:51 pm

That is definitely easier, not having to worry about the timetable or have to eat lunch at 11 because they nap over lunch. It’s those long days at home that are tricky. Or the falling asleep on the sofa at 5 which has happened a few times. Nightmare 🙂 x

13. 6th April 2016 / 4:29 pm

ah the transition. it meant nap drop for us too. fun times ey #bloggerclubuk