Bumps, Bruises and Quotes

30 Day Blogging Challenge

Day 25

Write about the worst injury you’ve had

When I first read this, I instantly thought of my struggle with HELLP syndrome.  Then I realised that was not really an injury.

I have broken a few bones over the years but I guess the most shocking, for my mum, is when I broke my nose.

I was in the school playground, playing rounders.  I really should have known better than to be playing sports.  That will teach me.

As I stood there daydreaming – ostensibly playing sport – I realised that I had to move off the base.  At this point, the person running towards me pushed me and I fell.  I landed spectacularly onto my nose, and skidded across the playground floor.

I managed to lift all the skin from my nose and forehead.

I remember friends gathering round me and taking me to the school nurse.

The school nurse gave me cotton wool (!) to put on the open wounds and sent me on to my afternoon class.

I will never forget that afternoon.  I was sitting in sex education, of all things, in the most incredible pain.

When I went home that afternoon, I was worried.  My mum would go berserk.  I remember standing at the front door with my hands covering the wound.

Of course, my mum answered the door and was not happy.  Not with me, as I had been concerned about.  Accidents happen, she said.  It was the school she was furious with.

She took me to A&E, where the nurses had to pick the cotton wool out with tweezers.  My nose was completely swollen and they were not able to X-ray at that point.  I did find out later, when the swelling went down, that it was broken.

From what I remember, my mum complained to the school, for using cotton wool and for then sending me back to class.  I should have been sent straight to A&E.

I guess that was schooling in the 80s for you.

Day 26

What is your favourite quote?

1. March 30, 2016 / 4:59 pm

Oh no, that’s awful! Glad that was a long time ago. I’ve never broken my nose, but have sprained my ankle and the pain was excruciating. Never again!

• April 1, 2016 / 6:30 pm

Ouch! I have done that too, i may or may not have had a few too many glasses of wine when I sprained my ankle 🙂 x

2. March 30, 2016 / 6:16 pm

Gosh, that’s horrific! This will be my excuse never to play rounders again (I’ve never been a fan!) Awful behaviour on the part of the school – you’d never get away with that now!

3. March 30, 2016 / 7:30 pm

Oh god, that sounds horrible, I can’t believe you were sent back to class! I do remember whacking my head off a wall in primary school and a nun giving out to me for being so careless. I was dripping blood and she really wasn’t very nice at all.

4. March 30, 2016 / 7:32 pm

Oh my goodness! I can honestly say I have never broken any bones… thankfully!! I have however had an eye laceration after Edie scratched me when I was playing with her. I can hands down say it is the most painful thing I have ever felt, I could hardly bare the pain and ended up having to go to hospital where they wanted to put me on all types of pain meds to help cope with it – but couldn’t because I was breastfeeding! H x

5. March 30, 2016 / 7:56 pm

If that had happened today you would have hundreds of solicitors knocking on your door to “help you get compensation”. Then again “health and safety” probably wouldn’t have allowed you the cotton wool in the first place in case you were allergic. How times change.

6. March 31, 2016 / 8:36 am

Oh wow I can’t believe they sent you back to class. You must have been in so much pain. It’s amazing how much schools have changed nowadays. It probably would have been a law suit. I absolutely adore those quotes too. xx

7. March 31, 2016 / 10:34 am

I think school was very different back then and schools are a lot more careful with children who get hurt. They have to cover their own backs!

8. twotinyhands
    April 1, 2016 / 4:39 pm

Eeek cotton wool! Ouch indeed! Rounders is dangerous! Brilliant reason not to take part again!