Top Ten Peeves / Favourite Foods

30 Day Blogging Challenge

Yesterday I took a little bit of a break from the 30 days challenge.

So this post is a double-whammy to catch up.  Some may say two for the price of one.  Unsurprisingly, I hear that phrase a lot in relation to twins.  It isn’t true by the way, it is very much two for the price of two!!

Day 10 – Top 5 Pet Peeves

If there was ever a question to allow for a good rant, this is it!  I think this may be a good contender for #effitfriday this week!

1. The first on the list is probably number one top pet peeve for any twin parent.   What I was not told at my twin antenatal class, is that having twins apparently makes it okay to make personal and often inappropriate comments.  Here are some examples:
    • “Are they twins?”
      • This happens more frequently now because Bob L is taller than Bob D, so looks older (I know what you are wondering: no, they are not identical).  However, when they were both babies in a pram, looking EXACTLY alike, it drove me crazy.  My husband dared me once to say “yes they are twins, but with different fathers”.  Which I thought was pretty funny, until last week when I read in the news that this actually happened in Vietnam.
    • “Two for the price of one.”
      • See above.
    • “Did you have a natural birth?”
      • Now… I have to point out this doesn’t matter so much if it comes from someone I know.  However, I was once stopped in Costco by a complete stranger and asked this question.  She didn’t even bother to say ‘hello’ first –  how rude!  See Point 5.
    • “Did you have IVF?”
      • I ask you this:  Would you ever ask a mummy to a singleton this question?  No?  Exactly.  Then don’t ask me, or any other twin mummy for that matter.
    • “Double Trouble.”
      • Grrrrr…
    • “Oh, I had children close in age, I know how you feel.”
      • No, you don’t know how it feels.  Just like I don’t even begin to pretend to know what it is like to have a toddler and a baby to look after.  Each have their own trials and tribulations.  Lets not presume we can empathise.
    • “I feel sorry for you” / “Rather you than me” / “You are in trouble” – Why exactly?  Because I have double the love?  Because I get double the cuddles?  Think long and hard before saying this to a twin mummy; these comments are not only hurtful, they are incredibly irritating.
  2. People sticking their noses in where they don’t belong.  There is no need for this.  If it is not life threatening, then just leave it.  Unless asked of course, then we are in desperate need for ideas and help.  People love to give advice: when to potty train, how to discipline, how to wean… the list is endless.  From my experience, this has two reactions from me; I either feel incredibly annoyed or it just makes me feel like I am a failure.  Parenthood is hard enough, let’s just support each other!
  3. Moving onto more general irritations now.  First of which, is picking teeth.  I cant bear this.  I have to look away.  If I am still eating it puts me off my food completely. Toothpicks should be banned unless used in a bathroom.
  4. Feet.  I hate feet.
  5. Rudeness.  I was always brought up to treat people, like you want to be treated.  Not everyone seems to agree with this.  Just be nice people.  Or as I say to my monkeys: Be kind, always be

Day 11 – Favourite Foods

Wow, this is hard.  I don’t know what to choose.  In fact, if you asked me this question in a few days time, I would probably give a different answer.  This is my answer today:

1. All Mexican food.  Love Salsa.  Love Guacamole.  Love Tacos.
  2. Tapas.  I can never decide what to have in a restaurant.  The best thing about Tapas is you can try a little bit of everything.
  3. Sticky Toffee Pudding / Creme Brûlée / Panacotta.  These are my desserts of choice.  I always have a tough decision on my hands if more than one of these are on a dessert menu.

My Random Musings
My Kid Doesn't Poop Rainbows
 Pink Pear Bear
Over the Moon Link Party
A Bit Of Everything
Cuddle Fairy
Life with Baby Kicks

1. thesingleswan
    March 14, 2016 / 10:25 pm

I can’t believe that random strangers stop you to ask whether you had a natural birth. I am trying to think of a witty retort for you to dish out next time it happens…but wit escapes me this evening – sorry! #fartglitter

2. March 14, 2016 / 10:28 pm

This is so true – I will think twice before making comments to a parent of twins! #bigpinklink

3. March 15, 2016 / 7:14 am

Loved this…I do love a good list and this blogging challenge is right up my street! I would be so annoyed if I were you on the receiving end of all those questions and assumptions. How bloody rude. I coined the phrase Pregnancy Police when I was pregnant back in 2013, people feel they have the right to say and ask whatever they like while imparting ‘advice’ about what is going on in your womb. F RIGHT OFF innit!! Great post. PS. I love Mexican food too xx #bigpinklink

4. March 15, 2016 / 5:52 pm

Phew, I’m sure you feel better for getting that off your chest!! I get very similar comments actually, because mine are 14 months apart, and the same size, so people assume they’re twins. Then I have to explain that they aren’t, then that sets off a whole lot of other questions! I then get particularly annoyed about ‘oh, did you plan that age gap, or was it an accident?’ I shouldn’t have to answer that question to anybody! I’m sure people mean no harm, they say things without thinking, and try to make small talk over the baby, and most people seem so drawn to babies! But people really should think it through, it’s really quite a sensitive subject!
    I love Mexican food too-I think guacamole is my favourite dip of all time!
    Thanks so much for sharing with #bigpinklink!

• March 15, 2016 / 9:38 pm

Isn’t is amazing that people think they can ask such questions! Never ceases to amaze me. You are right though, I think people are just drawn to babies and want to chat x

5. March 15, 2016 / 7:11 pm

I’m totally with you on people picking their teeth. Ugh. It’s up there with watching people eat on TV – why on earth?!

Great post – linking up from #TwinklyTuesday

6. March 15, 2016 / 10:54 pm

I have two very close together…don’t worry I’m not going to say – rather, I too get the Youre brave, rather you than me esk comments and I really bloody hate it. Rude rude rude. Feeling your frustration there xx #abitofeverything

7. March 16, 2016 / 12:51 pm

Some people are so rude asking you questions like that! Ignore them! I can only imagine how hard it is with twins, and I salute ladies that have twins! Well done 🙂 Love the food choices, your list is making me hungry! I really need to crack on with my 30 day blogging challenge. Claire x #abitofeverything

8. March 16, 2016 / 2:00 pm

There’s nothing like a good rant to shake off the cobwebs! 🙂 I might do it! #AbitOfEverything

9. March 16, 2016 / 6:13 pm

I just need to get started, a few things have taken priority 🙁

10. March 16, 2016 / 9:36 pm

A good rant is exactly what you need sometimes, maybe more often than before motherhood haha, my latest post is very ranty too! I’m with you on your food favourites as well, mexican tapas followed by all of those deserts please! xx #BloggerClubUK

11. March 17, 2016 / 12:48 am

Haha, deep breath! You should hear the comments lesbian mums get- yowza 🙂
    Was with you on the food but then you lost me at the desserts. Pannacotta? *shudder*

• March 17, 2016 / 8:58 am

I can’t even imagine! People love to have an opinion don’t they??? Really I have too much to think about with my own family to worry about hoe someone else is doing things 🙂 x

12. randommusings29
    March 18, 2016 / 3:44 pm

I don’t know what it is about babies, but somehow having one (or more) seems to make certain people think you are fair game to answer all their inappropriate questions. The tooth picking thing gets to me too. I work in a bar and I have lost count of the amount of people who think it’s ok to pick their teeth then leave the toothpick on the table or the bar rather than put it in a bin. I’ve started to refuse to give them out! #effitfriday

• March 18, 2016 / 3:45 pm

You are kidding, leaving them on the table or bar!!! That is beyond horrible ! Must drive you crazy! X

13. March 18, 2016 / 7:29 pm

Seriously, two for the price of one? Do people know how much one child costs and then how much two children cost? If they did, they would quickly stop saying such stupid things like they were a BOGOF offer in Asda! Thanks for linking up to #coolmumclub lovely x

14. March 18, 2016 / 10:26 pm

Love this. I have twin nieces and know my sister in law can relate to a lot of those. I think it was similar to the questions I got asked when pregnant for the third time after two boys. Such a great post hon Thanks for linking #abitofeverything xx

• March 21, 2016 / 5:10 pm

Oh gosh yes you would get a whole host of questions too. I forgot to add the, I guess you don’t want any more then as you have your hands full. As it turns out I don’t want any more but that is due to my own health. I can never be bothered to explain that to a stranger who asks in the park though lol! XX

15. min1980
    March 19, 2016 / 9:20 pm

I can just imagine all these questions…..I think I have been tempted to ask parents of twins some of these. Sorry, don’t hate me! I get the opposite, as a single mum people are often afraid to ask questions as they think I will be upset, then when I try and reassure them by telling them that there’s no sob story involved-my son was conceived with donor sperm, they try even harder not to ask questions even though they are DYING to. I really don’t mind all the questions, so I find it hilarious! #effitfriday

• March 21, 2016 / 5:04 pm

Since I wrote this post, and I started reading the comments, I think parenting in general opens up a whole host of questions! Love your positive attitude – i just let it rub me up the wrong way 🙂 x

16. March 20, 2016 / 8:34 pm

I think this 30 day challenge is a great idea :), one of my best friends had twins and she had the same issues and comments all the time it use to drive her mad!! Mexican and tapas have also got to be on my list only second to Thai. Thank you for joining us at #BloggerClubUK hope to see you again next week x

17. March 23, 2016 / 4:59 pm

Ugh why are people so fascinated with how you give birth (more to the point why am I so fascinated?! Because I am). Does being a twin mum mean you get twice the irritating comments and advice from people who have no idea what it’s like to have two babies of the same age?!xx

• April 1, 2016 / 6:48 pm

Ha the thing I have realised since I wrote that post is that all parents seem to get comments, I thought it was just the twin thing!