HELLP, I am in hospital

I waited over an hour to be seen at the hospital.

I called my husband on the way to the hospital to ask what he was wanting for dinner.  By this I meant ‘what are you going to cook me’.  I don’t do much cooking.  I am lucky to have married a Masterchef winner in the making though. He said he could finish early and come to the hospital with me. I said “nah; don’t bother, I am sure it is just routine and I will be home this evening to annoy you”.

Thankfully he ignored me – it isn’t the first time and won’t be the last!

I was eventually seen.

Then poked and prodded, which I had come to expect. By this stage in pregnancy all dignity had well and truly left the building!

I had blood tests, which I found a little unusual.  This was not the first time I had been to the hospital.  I had taken myself there a few weeks prior as I was worried about my blood pressure.  The other times, I had to do the obligatory peeing in a cup, let the nurse take my blood pressure and then I was sent on my merry, waddling way.  Not this time.

The nurses looked more serious.

Then, I was hooked up to monitors to check heartbeats. I wondered what was going on.  Normally they just use the hand-held Doppler.  Not this time, I had permanent bands (yes times two) on my tummy to take a proper reading of the heartbeats.

This was very tricky with twins.

Particularly my two who were very close together.

After waiting for hours, they eventually came in to tell me I had pre-eclampsia.  I needed to be induced as a matter of urgency.

They also suspected I had Obstetric cholestasis (OC), a potentially serious liver disorder.  The rash on my stomach, but in particular the severe itching, is a typical symptom of this disorder.

A doctors hospital notes, pen and stethoscope -

I would not be induced straight away though.

There was a waiting list for ’emergency’ inducees.  So, I was stuck in a ward with all the other emergency patients, waiting in line for what seemed like an eternity.  It certainly didn’t feel like there was any urgency.  There was a sense of irony about the situation.

As I had no idea that I would be staying in the hospital, I had not brought my bag with me.  Actually bag isn’t quite right, it was a suitcase.  It was filled with incredibly important things, which I had packed due to reading many articles on what I might need.

I had the following essential items:

  1. Make Up – which is laughable but did come in useful at one point, which you will see in a future post.
  2. My ‘In Labour’ bag – full of things like lip balm and magazines (!), none of which were used because I was too tired and in too much pain!  Apart from the hair band, that was the only thing I remember using.
  3. Going home outfits – essential!
  4. The wrong sized nappies – not my fault.  The boys were not premature, but they were a lot smaller than we had been told in the scans. I didn’t expect them to need premature nappies.
  5. The wrong sized clothes (for the babies).
  6. Some lovely new PJs – far to uncomfortable to wear as it turned out.  I ended up wearing my maternity night dress.

Suffice to say I made some terrible choices about what to pack.  24 hours after the birth I sent my hubby home to pick up the stuff we actually needed.  Like clothes that fitted, which would have been a good start.

By the time I was told I was staying overnight, it was very late.

I needed to get my bag quickly as ‘visiting hours’ were over on the ward and most of the ladies were asleep.  So, the hubby made a call to our friend, Gus.  We have known Gus since university and although we could go months without seeing him, he really came through for us in our hour of need.  He picked the hubby up, took him home, collected the bag and brought him back to the hospital.  All the while landing himself with a charge for going into the congestion zone.

J arrived with my suitcase.  However, he was not allowed to stay. Any mum to be can appreciate how that felt.

I was scared, worried and felt very alone.

I wanted to fast forward time. It was not a pleasant feeling.

I was in a room with ladies who were equally unwell, if not more so.  This included Mum A – as I am going to call her as I can’t remember her name now – who looked dreadful.  She constantly groaned and didn’t move out of her bed.  I worried for her.  I said goodbye when it was her turn to go to the delivery suite. At this stage I didn’t think I would be seeing her again in the High Dependancy Unit a few days later.

The next day came and went.

I waited. I became more nervous. Trying not to panic.  The doctor came to see me; it’s not going to be today, they said. I had worked this out for myself seeing as they said I would be taken in before 5pm. This was now 6pm. My hubby had to leave, again. I was left alone with my thoughts once more, feeling very alone.

Then: I wake in the middle of the night.

The hospital food was playing havoc with me, I had terrible cramps.  I tossed and turned for hours.

Then, as I went to the toilets my waters broke, twice.

Surprised and shocked. Of course I knew that the sacs would both have to break, but for some reason when the first one went, I assumed that was both of them.  I wasn’t thinking logically at this point.

I was hooked up to a machine to monitor my contractions.

Yes, that was what the stomach cramps were.  I should have realised.

The real fun and games were beginning.

Follow my journey through HELLP Syndrome here.


  1. 5th December 2016 / 12:35 am

    Wow I can’t believe how scary this must have been for you. They should of given you more information, then to scare you like that and then not to be in any hurry. That had to be so stressful to go though something like that, and then to go though it alone. They should of let your husband stay with you.

  2. 5th March 2016 / 9:40 am

    I had a similar experience with Ava who was showing signs of distress when being monitored they said she needed to come out urgently and then made us wait a few very stressful hours hooked up to monitors. Interested to read the rest of your story. Thanks for linking to #PickNMix
    Eilidh x

    • 13th March 2016 / 6:35 am

      I always assumed emergency meant they would take you straight away. I guess it isn’t as simple as that for them. I was not the only one waiting to be induced who was classed as urgent, I spoke to a few ladies at lunch that day and they were all in the same boat. Xx

  3. 4th March 2016 / 10:11 pm

    It’s insane that in your situation they kicked your husband out at a time when he would be needed the most. There’s huge inconsistency of practice up and down the country and thankfully it’s something that Maternity Review has recognised is counter productive. (I wrote a post a few months back about dads and maternity care http://bit.ly/1YcpdEd around this topic).

    When it’s your first time it’s easy to get cowed by doctors / midwives but after the stress and angst they put my wife through on the night shift after our eldest daughter was born we have made a point for subsequent pregnancies of insisting that I stay!


    • 13th March 2016 / 6:33 am

      Just catching up with comments. Will check your post out this morning. I would be very interested to read that, thanks xxx

  4. Robyn
    4th March 2016 / 8:21 am

    That sounds like quite a scary experience! And frustrating as well, I’d have been annoyed to feel out of the loop and with the waiting. Luckily our local hospital had all private rooms in the maternity ward and my husband was able to sleep on a mattress on the floor of my room – thank goodness because I was far too anxious and emotional after a sudden and early delivery to be alone. It seems wrong to me that dads should have to observe visiting hours, but I suppose in a shared room situation there’s not a lot of flexibility. Waiting to hear what will happen next with your story!

    • 4th March 2016 / 12:10 pm

      That’s good he got to stay. My hubby got to stay with me afterwards for some of the days. He also had a mattress on the floor.
      Yes I agree. The shared room thing makes it tricky. X

  5. 3rd March 2016 / 1:32 am

    I truly enjoy reading about your journey. I wouldn’t have been thinking about two sacs either. And I can totally understand how you would feel so alone. Thanks for linking with #momsterslink.

  6. 1st March 2016 / 7:53 pm

    I cant believe that they left you waiting in an emergency!!! Well actually, I can believe it, the same thing happened to me with my youngest daughter and I was made to wait three terrifying days before they even induced me after they deemed us an emergency case!! But still, with twins that would be even more high risk! Terrible!! #anythinggoes

    • 4th March 2016 / 12:04 pm

      I know it is a bit crazy! Was a bit frightening at the time and boring as well. I couldn’t sleep so just lay there thinking. Never a good thing ha!

  7. Becky, Cuddle Fairy
    1st March 2016 / 1:45 pm

    It really is frightening the first time around. It’s too bad hospitals can’t accommodate the husbands to stay somehow. I remember my husband being kicked out right after our first was born. It was awful! And he was kicked out during our second child’s labour. I had to ring him at 2am to come back – the baby was born about a half hour after he arrived so it was a close call! Thanks so much for sharing with blogger club uk x

    • 4th March 2016 / 12:02 pm

      Oh gosh that was a very close call! That’s horrible that they made him leave, I assumed they would let hubbys stay if in labour xx

  8. 27th February 2016 / 11:25 am

    It’s horrible waiting around in hospital on your own, isn’t it..but it must have been ever more so when you were told you were an ’emergency’…how stressful to then not have any action! #momsterslink

  9. 26th February 2016 / 11:42 am

    This sounds scary!! I can’t even imagine how you must have felt or what you were going through. #abitofeverything

  10. 25th February 2016 / 9:54 pm

    I’m on the edge of my seat for the next installment! I was with you on the hospital bag…thought I’d packed everything…which I had, for a one night stay. Not so handy when you end up being in a week!
    Thanks for linking up to #coolmumclub x

  11. 25th February 2016 / 9:33 pm

    Sounds very intense. Looking forward to the next installment of the story. Visiting from #momsterslink

  12. 24th February 2016 / 9:33 pm

    I can’t believe how long they left you when your case was an emergency! Thats ridiculous! I forgot about the waters breaking twice too when I had my first, my first went at home then on the way to the hospital we went over a speed bump and the second ones went. Completely threw me! #BloggerClubUK x

  13. 22nd February 2016 / 6:18 pm

    Oh my goodness, obviously there definition of emergency and mine are totally different why would they keep you waiting that long and also not allow your hubby to be stay and call it an emergency. Looking forward to reading the next part

  14. 21st February 2016 / 10:14 pm

    OMG I always thought an emergency was just that!! It obviously doesnt sound like that but at least your body took control and decided to take you into labour naturally. I look forward to hearing the rest of the story x

  15. chloelifeunexpected
    21st February 2016 / 10:05 pm

    Oh wow what a journey!!! I wouldn’t have thought about the waters needing to be broken twice either. Births are so different for everyone aren’t they. No story is the same. xx

  16. 21st February 2016 / 10:00 pm

    My god you poor thing I can’t believe you waited so long you must have been in so much pain bless you. How are you now? x

  17. 21st February 2016 / 3:00 pm

    Crikey, you never expect a wait when you’re taken in for an emergency. I was lucky when I was in because I was the only person on delivery from 11.30pm when I went in until I came out of theatre at 3pm the next day.

    • 25th February 2016 / 7:48 pm

      I think I wasn’t emergency enough. We were in a busy London hospital and there were a few ladies in my position unfortunately x

  18. wonderfulandaverage
    21st February 2016 / 9:38 am

    That must have been such a worrying time, especially when you had to wait so long. I had to laugh at your labour bag being useless though, mine was too- I don’t think it even got opened! My ‘just-in-case’ case turned out to be very useful though!

      • wonderfulandaverage
        21st February 2016 / 3:42 pm

        It was just in case I ended up having a c-section/having to stay in longer, so clothes for both of us, nappies, toiletries etc. I had an emergency c-section so ended up using nearly everything in my case!

  19. 21st February 2016 / 6:11 am

    This sounds so utterly terrifying! I’m so glad I live in a small place where we get seen to immediately instead of being left to wait during an emergency!

  20. 20th February 2016 / 9:30 pm

    I guess they kept you in so they could morning to you, but I do think it’s pretty terrible that you were there for so long, on top of the fact that your husband could be with you! Sounds pretty scary though! Looking forward to reading the next instalment! Xxx

  21. 20th February 2016 / 2:51 pm

    I can’t imagine how scary it was waiting alone for your c section! I am allergic to being a patient (although I am a nurse) lol With both my boys I begged them to let me home the same day and spent around 12 hours with each of them in hospital after the birth (most of that was with packed bags! dieing to leave) lol x

    • 20th February 2016 / 3:39 pm

      I couldn’t wait to leave either. I hate hospitals, even worse when I was just waiting for something to happen. I was, at this point pretty bored, which gave me more time to worry and get in a state. X

  22. Leah Miller
    20th February 2016 / 2:50 pm

    I can’t believe they kept you in as an emergency and then kept you waiting for days! I always assumed that if it was an emergency you would be straight in. And then in the end to go into labour naturally too?

    We did the exact same thing with the nappies and clothes with Binky, being baby #3 I assumed she would follow her brother and sister and be over 7lbs, but she was under 6, and everything I had bought for her was hanging off her!

    Looking forward to reading the next chapter xx

    • 20th February 2016 / 3:37 pm

      I know. I dread to think how long I would have waited for if my waters hadn’t broke. It is so hard to know what to take for them, isn’t it? X

Don't be shy, leave me a comment.....